How to cut grooves in concrete sidewalk

I need to cut some grooves in my sidewalk. They need be no more than 1/4" deep, though 1/2" might be better. They need be no wider than a saw kerf. All I need to do is run a small wire in the grooves and fill it with epoxy or something similar. This is for one of those "electric dog fence" type things.
What's the best way to do this? The total length I need to cut is probably about 15 feet, so I don't need a particularly durable solution. Will a cheap masonry blade in a circular saw do the trick? Is there anything I can use in an angle grider? The angle grinder would be good for making a vertical groove on the edge of the sidewalk.
Purchase an abrasive masonry blade for your circular saw, it will be dusty so wear a dust mask. Both are inexpensive.
Tom

On 27 Dec 2003 09:41:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote:

The concrete blade in a circular saw will work. You might need a few blades to do 15 feet. Protect your lungs from the dust.
(Shooter Dude)

Diamond blades are 5 times the price, but they cut like butter and last.
Phisherman wrote:

That will work, then kiss your circular saw good-bye when you are done. The dust will destroy the brushes and bearings. Suggest you get a real cheap saw with the blades and consider it a throwaway.
--
Papa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
Send me email from: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote:

Go to a rental place, and rent a hand held concrete saw. It shouldn't cost that much, and saves the wear and tear on your saw. And it should do the job easier on you and your back. Generally, they charge per inch of blade used up, in the case of abrasive blades. Dunno about diamond blades.
- Shooter Dude -

- Nehmo - Use a diamond blade in a circular saw or angle grinder. An abrasive blade won't last very long with concrete, and the diamond blades are reasonably priced nowadays: about $25 for a 4 " diameter one.
In alternative, you could tunnel your way under the sidewalk with water pressure. Use a nozzle on the end of a rigid pipe or snake a regular hose through a length of PVC pipe. This method is used a lot for installing sprinkler systems. (I might go at 15' from both sides.)
I applaud what you are doing. I hate to see a dog on a chain.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Same here...a dog on a chain is a sad thing.
You can get devices with an implanted battery and high voltage discharge device... the battery recharges while your pet sleeps in his bed placed over a recharging mat.
The vet implants the sending unit in its testicles, or you can do it yourself if you are fast... then whenever yer beloved pet starts to get near the perimeter of the property the high voltage probes in its testicles are energized.
Phil Scott

This is probably what I'd do... A garden hose under regular pressure will dig through the dirt with ease. I used to do this when I was a kid... my folks hated it. All those holes in the yard!

OUCH!!!!
What ever happened to the ones that just go around their neck?
Something that MANY folks don't consider as well... These radio fences MAY be good at keeping your dog in the yard (If you devote all the training time needed) BUT it does NOTHING for keeping other animals out. No amount of training will stop your pet from chasing a rabbit through the radio fence if they are going fast enough... and once out, they won't be able to get back in!

week long power outages. It is just a matter of training. (In fact, one dog is faithful to fence at our cottage, eventhough we don't have one. She just decided where it ought to be, and won't cross it unless carried.)
I think (I hope? I pray?) he is joking about the implant.

his home and the dog will run through the fence all the time. Late at night he'll hear a "Yelp" and go out to check on him and he'll be sitting on the other side of the invisible fenceline waiting for him. He said he's done all kinds of training, went so far as to hire a profesional. No luck.
--
Rich
www.construction-resource.com

Stick that thing on his balls, and I'll bet he'll cross the line only once more! (Talk about your S & M.)
Jim

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote:

If you go the 4" angle grinder route, you don't need to buy a $25 diamond blade for a mere 15 feet. They also have diamond wet-dry angle grinder blades at Home Depot for $7 if that's all you intend to ever do with that one blade. They're not as durable as the $25 ones of course, but one-shots needn't be so expensive. HD also has Ryobi angle grinders for about $30 if you don't have one. Mine has several hours of cutting cement and brick on it, and it's still chugging even with all the dust that's gotten kicked up onto it.
AJS
What's the best way to do this?
The easiest and cheapest way to do it would be to put a diamond blade in a worm drive skillsaw. Both can be rented from your local rental yard.
Put a trickle of water on the sidewalk in front of you, and there won't be any dust.
Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!
--
Lyle B. Harwood, President
Phoenix Homes, Inc.
27 Dec 2003 09:41:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shooter Dude) wrote:

I second what Nehmo Sergheyev and others say: I have also used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cheap wet/dry diamond blade. Works very fast. Very cheap, doesn't ruin your good circular saw.
Haven't tried the horizontal waterjet boring method, but it sounds great.
Steve Johnson
A circular saw with a masonry blade, but be sure to blow the dust off of the saw after use if you want it to last. Look for a bottle of Concrete crack filler at your local hardware store to fill the groove after you place the wire.