How to cut ABS pipe

I need to cut off a toilet flange with a 4" ABS pipe in it, for a total wall thickness of 1/2". (1/4" pipe thickness, 1/4" flange thickness)

Can I use my 4" HF angle grinder with a 4" thin metal cutoff blade to go through 1/2" of ABS?

Any better solutions? Since the pipe is sticking out of the concrete slab only by 3/4", I cannot use my circular saw or my Sawsall.

Thanks.

Reply to
Walter E.

Would a cable saw work? >

I don't remember mine costing as much as these.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I mark the pipe all around the circumference and use a hacksaw. Then I use fine sandpaper to smooth the edge so crap (pun intended) does not adhere to it.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

Is there some reason you can't use a hacksaw? That seems like the obvious choice from here....

Reply to
Doug Miller

As others have said, used a hacksaw. Cable saws can work too but a hacksaw is likely to be easier.

Power tools don't work well on ABS (or PVC). They'll just melt and burn the plastic making a mess.

DO mark up the pipe, make a jig, or otherwise take lots of care to ensure a nice square cut. Unless you've done a lot of pipe work before, it's real easy to cut the thing way off square and it takes a lot of filing to straighten it up!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I've used a chop saw many times for either with no difficulty.

For the OP, a standard woodsaw might work fine because you can flex the blade if you want a flush cut. Use thin cardboard or something to keep the blade off the concrete.

Reply to
Bob F

Use a long blade on your sawzall and gently bend the blade.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Just as a thought, one of those saws on a rope? About 1/8" in diameter. One of the smaller ones. If you do it carefully, you should be able to get a pretty good cut. And if that sticks out, take a grinder to it, but I'd use a stringer brush, as it will take it off smoother. You might be able to use a 4" sanding wheel on the flat side, unless it loads up too much with melted plastic.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I would use the Harbor Freight Multifunction tool with off set blade. Have done this and works great. The tool is about $40. WW

Reply to
WW

I'd say that is the best way. Hacksaw is pretty much out cutting that close to a surface unless one wants some really beat up knuckles :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Good solution. If you have to do sort of thing repeatedly, get yourself an offset adapter .

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

A hacksaw blade with one end wrapped in cloth to hold on to works just fine for me. Blade lays flat, doesn't seem to scar the surface, works quickly on ABS , a trifle slower on PVC.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Harry K wrote: ...

That's why they make the hacksaw frames w/ adjustable mounting angles for the blade...

--

Reply to
dpb

Ridgid makes an inside tubing cutter, with a blade available for ABS specifically, but I'd be willing to bet you didnt want to spend that much. There are also drill mounted inside pipe saws made by PASCO (and also PlumBest) that work great on PVC or ABS, and they are very cheap.

BTW, you could also do that job with a hammer and chisel for free. What I do is just use a wasted blade and the Sawzall, because the blade is goping to be shot when you get done anyway. But that is the quickest method I have found.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty