How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

Page 1 of 3
I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward from the gutter towards the house.
We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw in there.
My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.
I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that easy to use.
The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4" aluminum elbow to the hole.
http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DSC_0135.jpg
Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.
Suggestions?
In article

My suggestion is a cheaper hole saw, since it's a one-off project:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200518624_200518624
Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool. So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.

Project is tonight...no time order any tools.
I've bought nested multi sized multi blade hole saws in the bargain bins at various hardware and drug stores over the years. You remove all of the nested saw blades but the size you need. Usually about $5. Not sure it goes as big as 4" though, might only be 3 or 3.5
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 07:59:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Perhaps you can just cut a rectangular or any other convenient shape hole, then cover it with a piece of wood that you've cut the hole in while on the ground.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i45_jQJYfY

This should do it though you might need to touch up the edges with a wood rasp.
On Oct 1, 8:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

The problem is no longer about cutting the hole, now it's about getting ductwork into the interior of the soffit.
The rafters come down at an angle (obviously) and the wood for the soffit goes up a slightly less angle. The space between the rafters and the "bottom" of the soffit on the inside is less than I need to get any kind of elbow in there. I need to look for some flat ductwork or have something made up. I've got a good roofing contractor that I can talk to about it. I may even have him do it and be done with the project.
In article

That's unusual. A project that blows past deadline, skyrockets over budget, and requires a slew of engineering change orders.

Very unusual indeed... I have never had one of mine do that...since the last one...and the one before that...and...
Harry K
Holesaw cheaper than ambulance ride, and six weeks off the job?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200518624_200518624
Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool. So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.
On 10/1/2012 9:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Surely you already have a holesaw arbor???
The 4" holesaw shouldn't be but $15 or so even at the local Ace; if you have a HF it's probably half of that or less...a 3-piece set of large sizes is $20 or there's bound to be a bargain-tool bin around various outlets...
Of course, the few pilot holes and a keyhole saw works...or a small trim router wouldn't be too hard to handle or even one of the multi-tools.

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed. However, a friend has a hole saw kit that goes up to 3 1/2". Maybe I could use his arbor and just buy the 4" holesaw. Are arbors brand- specific or generic?
I do however have a set of keyhole saws so I'll bring those along.
Thanks!
On 10/1/2012 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

That haven't ever had need for holesaw seems most unusual but guess everybody has done different stuff...
Anyway, the inexpensive arbors are standard w/ some exceptions--in all likelihood his will work.
One thing since apparently you've not used one before--a large diameter holesaw can exert a _LOT_ of torque and on a ladder it's going to be pretty spooky as well...whatever you do, be prepared to let go; don't even think of locking the power level...
Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion-- I was just in my hole saw drawer the other day and I have 4 arbors.
-snip-

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have off the ladder.
Take it slow. . . .
Jim
Wobble the drill around, a lot. This will make the drilling easier, and also make the saw cut wider. So, the wood plug comes out a lot easier.
-snip-

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have off the ladder.
Take it slow. . . .
Jim
On 10/1/2012 11:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

I've at least three and they're all interchangeable although not identical...one has points for a driving hole but it's not difficult to adapt to them...
As said, it depends but I'll risk that odds are good...anyway, if borrows the neighbor's arbor and heads to the hardware store he'll likely have no trouble.
Again of course it's always possible the neighbor has the oddball...

I guess I should have said what I said differently. I've used large hole saws before, but I've always been able to use someone else's. I've not needed them often enough to buy one. In this instance, we have to get the job done tonight and I have not been able to put my hands on anything larger then 3 1/2" with such short notice.
Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.
Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.
wrote in message
Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself" lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.
99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee" so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?
Well, that's a bit interesting. Of course, I may be totally wrong, and this is a chance to learn.