How to cure dead spots in lawn

Page 3 of 3
Dave-Morris wrote:

Dig out the area, removing not just the dead grass but 2-3 inches of the soil, too. If it doesn't have any soil, or much soil, under the sod, that may explain why that section dies out. At any rate, replace with new topsoil, sprinkle a little bit of starter fertilizer on top, then add a piece of sod or grass seed.
It's not unusual for lawns to have spots where the soil is thin, or where it is heavily compacted, or very sandy. Those spots will dry out much faster. There's also the chance that rocks or construction debris are in that area, which again will tend to increase the tendency of that area to dry out faster than the rest of the lawn. And sometimes a spot is the result of a fertilizer burn or a dog wetting in that area. Or you may have gotten poor-quality sod, if the lawn is fairly new and you've experienced this since the sod was laid. At any rate, replacing the soil along with reseeding or resodding usually corrects most problems.
Oh, and take it easy when you spray for weeds. If you spray a weedy spot too heavily, or use a too-concentrated mixture of weed killer, you'll injure the grass plants along with the weeds. Don't mix the product stronger than recommended on the label. You're better off spraying a second time a week later than you are hitting it once with a too-strong solution.
HellT
Dave-Morris wrote:

Have you tried a light fertilizing?

Have you checked for large rocks, under the surface and then removed?
Then feed the lawn area.
What kind of broadcaster do you use with a bag of light?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A light one.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:34:12 +0100, Dave-Morris

Fruit trees are stealing the moisture? It happens here, because the roots travel under the turf. Often a dry spot for me.
But, we do have pretty blooms this spring.
Dave-Morris wrote:

We worked about two years to rebuild a badly neglected lawn (southern grass). I finally got impatient enough about a dead area to start digging. There were pavers buried with about 4" of soil. Dug up all of the pavers; all is well.
How many dead spots? How large? Large proportion of lawn? Sunny, shady or both? Got grubs?
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:34:12 +0100, Dave-Morris

    Well since there may be a thousand different reasons, we can't make really helpful suggestions until we know more.
    How a bout a few answers.
What part of what country is the lawn located? How long have you lived there? What kind of grass is the primary grass in the turf? Is this spot in the sun or shade? How often do you fertilize? How old is the lawn? Do neighbors have like problems? Is this only one spot in your lawn? Do you have a dog? Do weed grow in the spot? What is the ground texture like? (hard soft..) Is the soil moist or dry?
Answer those and then maybe we can offer some answers, suggestions or maybe new questions.
Dave-Morris wrote:

There's only two ways to go -- guess or find out what's wrong.
If there isn't something physical in the area (something like the other responder w/ the tale of buried bricks), then you need soil samples to find out what the problem(s) actually are.
Start w/ call to local county extension office.
On Apr 13, 4:34pm, Dave-Morris <Dave-Morris.

Check the PH
Dave-Morris wrote:

Hi, Have ever done dethatching or aerating the lawn in the spring? For the dead spot rake the area hard and remove dead grass roots and soil. Fill with good fresh top soil. Use grass seed mixture made for patching. Keep te area moist until seeds germinate. Also do you feed the lawn with good food(fertilizer) regularly?
Dave-Morris wrote:

It something is dead, I don't think it can be cured....

Gee. I have the same problem. Grass won't grow on my concrete driveway. I wonder what is wrong. You've gotten many good suggestions here to fix it, but they all want to argue amongst themselves and you. Just dig up the damn areas about a foot deep, replace the soil, (or find what it is in there that won't let stuff grow) and get on with your life. Replace the soil no matter what, because there's something in there that ain't going away.
Got it this time, Sparky?
Pittman Pirate wrote:

LOL
Dave-Morris wrote:

try seeding those spots. You can't just water nothing and expect something to come up.
You may try giving your local nursery a call and explain your problem to them. I've heard that grubs may cause this and also a lack of airation (sp?). I would definitely call around and get some ideas as to what causes this problem and the easiest, cheapest solution is.
Good luck!
--
jeck15