How to cure dead spots in lawn

Page 2 of 3
On Apr 15, 4:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Well clearly you know it all including what I witnessed first hand. I wouldn't mix mortar or anything else for an arrogant ass like you so don't worry about it.
Add pictures here
✖
BobR wrote:

Wonder what would be the purpose of adding lye to the subsoil? Draw moisture to help concrete cure? Termite prevention? Interesting.
Add pictures here
✖

I've never heard of any such thing being done. Mixing anything with the subsoil before pouring a foundation would have to be one big pain in the ass and time sink. Like how exactly are you going to mix it in? You'd have to take out the material, mix it in somehow, then replace it, then compact it, etc. And if you have a basement, with a perimeter drain, wouldn't the lye wind up in the sump pit?
Also hard to imagine it would be effective for long against termites. Lye is water soluble and would wind up in the groundwater, being diluted and carried away.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 15, 12:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I don't know what it was used for but watched many bags of it spread out and mixed into the sand and soil before the liner was put in place. The foundations are all slab foundations (no basements down here) and the soil was mostly clay. What ever the reason, I lived there for over 30 years and we never had a crack in the foundation even after adding a second story onto the house.
Add pictures here
✖

That would have been lime. Do you suppose it's possible that after thirty years, you don't remember exactly what you saw them using?
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 15, 4:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

No Doug, it is not possible but it clearly is possible that you are a know it all ass who believes it so be my guest.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:32:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

There is a lot of misinformation on the net. I've heard the process of sorting truth from fiction as being like "sorting flyshit from pepper"
In this case, there are certain sites out there that indicate Lye is part of concrete - but the same sites refer to it as "Calcium Chloride, or Lye". Guess what - Calcium Chloride is not Lye - so I discount those sites completely. They don't know what they are talking about - Flyshit - not pepper.
HOWEVER - there is ONE known application of lye in concrete work. Would DEFINITELY NOT require "BAGS" of it for a foundation.
There is an OLD recipe for making concrete "impervious" - that means basically sealed and untouchable - that uses small amounts of lye.
A "Stock" mixture of 1 lb Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) and 5 lbs of Hydrated Aluminum Potassium Sulphate (common ALUM) mixed with 2 gallons of pure water.
One PINT of this mixture is added to 10 lbs of either common or portland cement and thinned to brushing consistancy with water. This is brushed onto fresh concrete (within 3 to 4 days) with a whitewash brush. It will foam when applied, and forms an "impervious" finish on the concrete making it resistant to damage from salts etc and prevents water from migrating through the concrete.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife! Thamks for the info. will share with my mason son.
Lou
Add pictures here
✖
Is that ASTRO or AFRO?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Same thing
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 13, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. That was the original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the first artificial grass. The name is no longer in use except by us old codgers.
Add pictures here
✖

Since I lived in Houston for 40 years...it is ASTROTURF. That was the original name used when the AstroDome was built and they installed the first artificial grass. The name is no longer in use except by us old codgers.
reply: It was funny how the "Astro" wave came and went. The big stadium, the special turf, the initial problems with the air conditioning, lots and lots of historic games, demolition derbies, Evel Knievel jumping there several times, all sorts of things. I guess it is still there. I worked as a bartender at the Astroworld Hotel for two years.
Maynard
Add pictures here
✖

Yes it is still there but it may not be for much longer. Since they built the new baseball stadium downtown and the new football stadium next door, the place has fallen into disrepair. I loved going to the dome for all sorts of events. It was a great stadium and still could be used for any number of different events but with all the event space around it, they just don't seem to care. I keep hoping someone will come up with a permanent year around use for it but I doubt it will happen and we will see it torn down very soon.
Add pictures here
✖
BobR wrote:

Yep. Pontiac MI, a burb of Detroit, has the 'Silverdome' that has been sitting empty a few years, too, but the city is too broke to tear it down. Indianapolis tore down their not-very-old arena a couple years ago. Personally, I think it is criminal stupidity that these venues have such a short lifespan. Almost all of them have tax money in them somewhere, either directly, or through roads/water/sewer that was upgraded to handle them. A commercial-grade space should last for 50-75 years minimum, not 20 or 30. Hell, a trailer lasts that long. They did it better in the old days- if it hadn't been stripped for parts (like to build the Vatican with), the Colosseum in Rome would probably still be in usable condition. If I was the kindly dictator in charge, the team owners would be personally liable for the demo costs if the places didn't make it till their 50th birthday- indicates piss-poor planning on somebody's part, and the taxpayers should not be on the hook for it. Of course, if I was dictator, no public money would have gone into building the damn things.
-- aem sends....
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

Its usually not a case of the building being so bad as the desire for a fancier building. Giants stadium in NJ is a prime example of this. Also, they often do not maintain the buildings very well.
Lou
Add pictures here
✖

You hit the focal point of the entire deal. The AstroDome was one of the greatest stadiums in the country but it just wasn't enough for Bud Adams and his football team. He wanted his OWN stadium that he would have to share with the baseball team. He pitched a fit and had them spend millions to upgrade but wasn't satisfied. He then threatened to move the team if the taxpayers wouldn't build him a very expensive NEW stadium just for football. They refused and he move to Tenn. Good damn riddance but that wasn't the end.
Next, the Astros decided the dome wasn't working for them and a new downtown stadium was built. Then they decided to negotiate a deal for a new NFL football team and the rodeo chipped in to convince the voters to build a new football stadium right next to the dome. Following all of that bullshit...the Houston Rockets weren't satisfied with everyone else getting new diggs and they had to have a new facility...all at taxpayer expense. Now I live in Arlington Tx and guess what, the idiots here have voted to pay a large portion of the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in spite of the fact that the DALLAS Cowboys haven't played a game in Dallas in 30 years.
Sometimes the taxpayers can really be stupid.
Add pictures here
✖
BobR wrote:
snipped a little:-))

Sometimes????????????
Add pictures here
✖

Ok, Ok, I will give you that one. <BG>
Add pictures here
✖
BobR wrote:

The name "Astroturf" has come back into vogue. The liberal blogosphere is using it as a label for the "Tea Party" movement. The implication is that Tea Parties are fake grass-roots demonstrations, coordinated and financed by Fox News.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 13, 3:34 pm, Dave-Morris <Dave-Morris.

As a bare minimum, you need to state what area of the country/world you live in and what type grass you have. Climate affects what type grass you can grow, and different grasses have different problems unique to them.
KC
Add pictures here
✖