How to cool down a body to 50 degrees?

Page 1 of 2
I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse. I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days until buried in a homemade pine box.
I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really have any idea how many and how long it lasts.
The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust to dust, you know.
Any suggestions?
A chest freezer. It locks, and she'll die quickly.

Bob wrote:

Yea, and after she is dead, you could put a Plexiglas lid on it for the showing.
Of course the dry ice would smother her quickly in the pine box, likely quicker than the freezer. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I understand that freezing is pretty painless, but maybe he isn't worried about painless. If he's worried about quick AND painless, maybe he could pipe in his car exhaust.

I get this mental picture of the wife laying in a box with a clear top,with wisps of CO2 vapor swirling around and flowing out over the sides like a Halloween display;then the wife sits up and makes everyone scream,like in a Haunted House.
B-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

top,with

Insert this: http://www.varianinc.com/cgi-bin/nav?products/nmr/probes/liquids/cold_pr obes/index&cid=IOMKPJNLFIH
--
"I don\'t make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
~ Will Rogers
WM wrote:

The dry ice probably wouldn't work very well. Here's a better way: Take all the food out of your refrigerator. Remove all the shelves. Put your wife in the refrigerator. An hour before the funeral, take her out of the refrigerator and put her in the coffin.
Won't work, she'd be too stiff to bend (unless she's still alive). Get a chest freezer where you can lay her out flat.

Only trouble with a feezer is that she'd be frozen on the day of the funeral. I guess she could be taken out the night before to thaw.
Bob wrote:

Our dog had to be put to sleep this past summer. We brought gypsy home in a cardboard coffin. Our chest freezer was empty so I plugged it in and put her on ice till 2 days later when I had time for digging.
miss gypsy a lot....
Most people miss their dogs more than if a spouse died.

A little make-up on the face and hands, and no one will notice. When was the last time you went to a funeral and someone touched the body to see how cold it was?

days
the
really
dust
Take
your
the
Mikey wrote:

Thaw her in the microwave a piece at a time. Stitch back together whatever will show.
Harry K
True story: Saw an ad in our local newspaper once. Ad said, "For Sale, used hospital bed and meat grinder."

funeral. I

Andy writes: All you have to do is preserve the head. Easy to store in the freezing compartment and thaw out in the microwave.... The other parts you can put almost anywhere where the police can't find it....... In fact, there's probably no need for a full sized coffin. Just a small box of about a cubic foot should do....
Andy ( Big fan of Senor Winches)

What do you think they make SAWZALLS for???
in most states laws the body must be buried within 48 hours if not imbalbed. ......... cut a drain hole in the box and pack her in ice.lucas
Most states North of the Mason-Dixon line won't let you put a wife in the freezer.

WM wrote:

Be sure to save all the suggestions you get. She may need them.