How to convert old NuTone Intercom IM-4006 cassette to iPod

-------------------------------------

Ok, I know that this thread looks dead but in case anyone is still looking to do this I found an easy answer. I was contemplating changing out the NuTone 4006 to something else but wasn't thrilled with the available options. When I took the unit off the wall to look at it, I noticed 3 RCA connectors on the circuit board on the back. By trial and error I figured out that the bottom one is the "phono" connector. All you have to do is get a cord that plugs into your music device of choice with an RCA plug on the other side. Set the unit to "phono" and you're done. Now I'm thinking of running the cable to inside the cassette deck and modifying the cassette deck so it holds an iPod or whatever you use. I was thrilled to death when I saw how easy this was!

Reply to
onlytimeposting

Actually, it depends on many things. If it was truly a phono input, the EQ will be all wrong. And, depending if it were for magnetic phono cartridge or 'ceramic' cartridge, the levels might have to be dealt with. Vinyl is recorded in a way that when you play it back, you must push the high frequencies harder. Now, did NuTone bother to properly EQ the input marked phono? Or was it really an aux input that required you to connect a turntable with an EQ'd preamp ????

Reply to
Art Todesco

Both phono and tape magnetic heads go through a specialized equalization pre-amplifier before being used to feed normal amplifier inputs. Hooking an ipod to the phono jacks is going to result in poor sound quality and you will need to turn the ipod output down really low to avoid overdriving the amp. If you are electronically minded you could find the point in the circuit that would allow you to insert a normal level output such as an ipod. But we're talking about disassembly and modifications. Then you could reconnect the phono input at that point and disconnect the feed from the phono equalizer amp. The really cool solution would be to do that and then connect form there to your home stereo equipment. Presuming you have access to your itunes collection via your home stereo.

Otherwise I'd continue to pursue the fm transmitter solution. Since you brought it up I'm guessing that the intercom has an fm receiver. The ipod to tape deck adapters all suck, I wouldn't bother taking that path.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

replying to The Daring Dufas, DB wrote: Google Intercom Systems Replace NuTone Model IM4006, 4 Room KI

Reply to
DB
Re: How to convert old NuTone Intercom IM-4006 cassette to iPod open original image

replying to Donna DeLong, Katherine Guy wrote: Thank you for your video, we ended up using one of these and just filing a groove into the face plate for the cord to fit through and it works just great and is only $2.49 + shipping (we had one of these in our spare cable drawer so it didn't cost anything )

Katherine Guy