How to convert oil boiler to electric (house water heating system)

I'd say you just verified hallerb's point. That labor comes to 30-36 man days of labor. Assuming you earned a mere $7 an hour, that's $1700 - 2000. I heat my 3200 sq ft house here in NJ with gas for a season for a lot less than that.

And it ignores another big problem, which is pollution. Note, I'm not saying someone shouldn't use wood if they want to and enjoy doing it. Only that it's not necessarily the free ride or good solution for everyone.

Reply to
trader4

yeah its kinda funny, people crow about how much they save heating with firewood, and dont mind volunteering the hours worked etc.

but somehow EVERYONE I have ever asked always come back as a fiancial loser or at best break even.

It would probably be more efficent to work the part time job and devote 100% of the earnings to superinsulating the home.

insulation pays back forever, without additional work:)

such upgrades as triple pane windows, 95%+ furnace, and closed cell foam insulation. Heck even a timer thermostat.

Reply to
hallerb

I don't see it that way - the cost of labor. I have a growing greenhouse and a vegetable garden which requires considerable labor to maintain. Should I not do this?

=C2=A0I heat my 3200 sq ft house here in NJ with gas for a

On my property I only cut deadfall. One cord of wood rotting on the ground produces the same CO2 as if it were burned in a wood stove.

=C2=A0 Note, I'm

It is for me.

Reply to
jim

e:

Done

Done

Done

95%+ furnace, and closed cell

Heck even a timer thermostat.

So thats what that square box on the wall is.

jim

e:

No, If you enjoy it and get other benefits from it, of course you should keep doing it. I stated that in my post. My point is some people don't enjoy cutting, splitting, and hauling wood. And in that case, I agree with hallerb, that if they looked at the labor spent doing it, it can be more effective to just work some extra hours somewhere at a paying job.

CO2 isn't the only issue or even the main one. The typical woodstove emits a lot more HC, CO, other noxious gases and particulates than a natural gas or oil fired furnace. And a lot of it depends on what kind of wood is burned, how well the fire is managed, which are not issues with gas or oil. There are towns with people living in close proximity that have had so much pollution from woodburning stoves that they have put restrictions on new ones.

It can be swell it you enjoy doing it and if only a small percentage of people do it. But if any significant percentage of homes started doing it as their main source of heat, air quality would definitely suffer.

Reply to
trader4

ote:

e house until

I love the smell of woodsmoke in the morning. I wish more people burned wood. (I don't.)

Reply to
bbechtel16

the house until

o 30-36

my neighbor used to burn wood constantly, it caused my wife great asthma issues, and frankly gagged me it was so dense sometimes.......

he has a outdoor chimnea, and burns trash wood like pine, wonder if that makes it worse?

Reply to
hallerb