How to convert a JPG picture into a vector drawing for experimentation

Some people cant take a shit without a computer these days. A pencil (with eraser) and some paper are all that is needed. Use the eraser when a change is needed! I've done quite a lot of plumbing. I just measure the overall length, plan where I need a fitting, and buy what I wrote. I add 10% to the length of pipes, and buy at least one extra elbow, tee, 45, etc.

Using copper pipe, or CPVC, I always dry fit the thing together first until it fit and looked right, (a little duct tape helps dry fit). When all looks good, I solder or glue. Whatever fittings are left can be returned to the store.

Reply to
generic

:)

Reply to
Danny D

Holy Shit...A really honest down-to-earth solution that makes sense, is practical and workable. Too bad there weren't more posters like this guy. Computer program indeed!!...who needs a computer program to "envision" a problem that doesn't even really exist.

Reply to
Roy

Excellent post! Thank you very much!

BTW, my pumps, which are 8 feet below the pool, leak at the inlets, and always have (about 500 gallons every few days) ... and they were put in fitting-to-fitting so tightly that a damn professional must have done it 'cuz they didn't waste an inch on extra piping!

I had to cut the fittings off just to unscrew them from the pumps (to fix the leak); so, while the plumbing is off, I'm relocating the pumps back a few feet in order to gain room, piping, & removable couplings!

True. I should have placed a ruler in the picture for dimensions! They're all two inch pipes - but that isn't accurate for an OD.

Aha! Nice idea! I like that it works on Linux also!

So the four JPEG-to-CAD freeware programs suggested are:

  1. Trimble SketchUp (not on Linux though)
  2. Blender (open source)
  3. Draftsight (free with a few minor strings)
  4. Flexihose

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the site for flexihose. Is this it?

Danny D

Thanks for providing the nucleus for a tutorial! I'll save this for use when testing it out.

Reply to
Danny D

I had not thought of that method prior, but Inkscape freeware (and I'm sure Trimble SketchUp, Blender, & Draftsight) can import the picture so we can draw over the lines also.

This would create 3D objects in a layer on top of the line drawing.

Danny D

"Danny D" wrote

Had a job finding a supplier in US But hereyago

Cheers Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

For home use, freeware is nice because, in about two minutes, you can change this, to this (and then start from that):

Danny D

Which cost how much more? And are likely not as durable.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Agree, what the OP wants is done everyday but not with free software. Not sure why "free" is cited so often as the main requirement for software when someones intellectual abilities that were used to create software allow you to save time and money.

Reply to
George

Danny D wrote in news:km69c6$56i$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Hi Danny,

The sort of flexi-hose I was referring to looks like this:

What is shown is domestic plumbing stuff, eg 1/2 inch 12mm, great for avoiding all that pipe-bending. Should be available in larger diameters, but a lot more expensive no doubt.

Your link:

Would work, but your rig isn't easily accessible? My suggestion would be to move the facility to a nearby shed or purpose- built pump housing. The installer was probably acting on the perceived customer requirement that this stuff must be hidden from view, so went overboard with making sure it wouldn't leak. Bad mistake. Anything like this, be it air-conditioning, pool filtering, drainage, needs to be accessible and protected from the elements. Sooner or later the mechanism will deteriorate and need maintenance. Also, pool pumps may be whisper-quiet in the shop, but don't stay that way forever after :-)

Reply to
troppo

The "down to earth" solution might be nifty for a small one of situation but if you were doing it more than that it is amazing how much time and money you can save using available computerized methods. And once you have a library of shapes it doesn't even make sense to do it in a one of situation.

Reply to
George

Obviously because the function isn't worth the money asked by "professional" software companies. There is an amazing amount of freeware out there that is quite good. A perfect example is "Sketchup". It's hard to beat for a 3-D modeling program for woodworkers or homeowners and there are "professional" packages available for those who need more function.

Reply to
krw

I did much the same with my garage but that was 20 years ago. I'd never attempt such a thing without a 3-D modeling program, now. I don't even write anything down, anymore. I could never read what I wrote anyway. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Free means, among other things, that someone wrote the software to be distributed freely.

They distribute this way on purpose. They *want* you to use their freeware.

Just like you help me, for free, and just like I write up details to help others, for free. Just like I post pictures, for free. And, I write up the summary, for free.

There's nothing wrong with that.

In fact, there's almost nothing you need for casual home use that isn't already available, for free. Just ask the folks on alt.comp.freeware for details.

Reply to
Danny D

Google "PEX". Lovely stuff to work with--cut it with a knife, connect it with a crimper.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You missed my point. I understand why software (or whatever) might be free but I questioned why it is often the main criteria.

Reply to
George

The problem is the OP only stated the main criteria is that software must be free. They didn't state if this is a hobby and they are building one of or a prototype that may be made many times in production. In the first case cost of extra parts and manufacturability aren't even a concern.

Reply to
George

Oh, OK.

Well, I think KRW aptly answered that aspect of the question then.

Reply to
Danny D

My mistake.

It's a one-time pool plumbing repair by a homeowner who is clearly inexperienced with pool plumbing yet who is very experienced with freeware.

There is no absolute need for the software; and it would only be used once (or perhaps a few times in a lifetime of typical home repair projects).

The reason for alt.comp.freeware should be obvious as that's where

99% of the software comes from on my machine (all legitimate).

The reason for alt.home.repair should also be obvious as they have the expertise to advise on plumbing particulars, tools, methods, techniques, ideas, etc.

And, the reason for rec.photo.digital is, perhaps less obvious, since that's mostly professionals; however some must be cognizant of the freeware extant that converts JPEG photos to 2D (and 3D) CAD drawings.

In fact, we've come up with multiple solutions, as we usually do, which will do the job for the typical homeowner: a) Inkscape (I used this to convert JPEG to vector DXF pencil drawing)

b) Trimble SketchUp (needs to run under Wine for Linux)
c) Sourceforge Blender
d) Dassault Draftsight
e) Flexihose ? ?

Reply to