How to connect a Double Pole Switch?

Page 2 of 2
On Oct 9, 11:02 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

- Shouldn't be two hot legs in fuse box and only one circling around the house (the other one goes to Oven and other 240V appliances). Am I wrong?
- I only have two switches for those two lights in my hall way.
- Flipping the other switch does not change the voltage readings on either wire in Pair B. But it makes them (one at the time) neutral. If I connect a light Bulb to any one from Pair B and Hot one from Pair A, I can turn the light on/off by flipping the other switch.
Homer wrote:

if you need an electrician.

Yes, you're wrong.

Time to call a pro.
--
Regards,
[snip]

I'd expect the 120V loads to be divided between the 2 legs. That's the way it is in every house or apartment I know about (other than a couple of older ones that don't have 240V service).

How many for each light?

Switching the neutral works but is considered unsafe. It means that a wire going to the light will be hot even when the light is off. There is then the possibility of someone thinking it's safe to work on.

Mark Lloyd
Homer wrote:

Homer, might your last name be Simpsos?
Your utterances on this thread represent an exellent example of what the legal profession uses, ie language which tends to supress information.

How about telling us what kind of "tester" you're using and what you are connecting its leads to when you get those indications.

Again, what kind of voltmeter, electromechanical movement or digital? And what are you connecting its leads to when you make those measurements?

When measured in reference to what? each other, neutral, ground or your gonads?
Do you understand how capacitive coupling of AC signals can cause "phantom voltages" to be measured by sensitive intruments. (Actually, "phantom" isn't really a good descriptive term, there IS a voltage present which does get measured, there just isn't more than a few hundred microamps of current delivering capability there, which for practical purposes might as well be zero.)

I knew we'd eventually get back to your gonads. <G>
******
Lim time again:
There once was a man from Woonsocket, Who stuck his big dick in a socket. His wife was a bitch, And flipped on the switch, And his balls both took off like a rocket.
******

I'm really having a hard time figuring out how a DPST switch in the original location could be wired to make a "three way" circuit work right,
Do you have the knowledge and ability to use the ohmmeter function on a meter to measure what that switch does when it's disconnected from all wiring? If so, do so. I'm betting you'll find it is really a SPDT, with maybe the fourth terminal for "ground".
Getting serious, I think you'll just need to replace that old switch with a SPDT ("three way") switch with the hot wire from Pair A connected to the "arm" terminal and the two wires from pair B connected to the two "contact" teminals. As far as the second wire in Pair A goes, you can probably cap it off and leave it unconnected.
My advice is warranted for exactly what you're paying for it, as I'm not there to verify what you've explained thus far, and have no way of knowing whether for example the "second wire in Pair A" might actually be a ground lead.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Ummmmm.... not necessarily.
--
Regards,

After reading through this thread, I also suggest bringing in a professional. What we are seeing is an homeowner, who while intelligent is not well informed or experienced about residential electrical systems and is not confronted by a not so common wiring situation that the average homeowner would have very little or no experience or knowledge of. It is also a little too iffy for anyone who can't really see everything to makes sure they have covered all the possible situations you might confront and therefore you could be facing a serious hazard. Time to call the professional in.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Yep, when it takes THIS LONG to figure out it's a simple 4-way circuit... and yet the other 3-way hasn't been located yet.
What we are seeing is an homeowner, who while intelligent