how to clean windows from hell

what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10 years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it with a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady. inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work on this stuff or any other ideas.
thx randy
Inside, outside or both have the film?

with
on
either "glass wax" or the glass cleaner that RainX makes./
David
xrongor wrote:

David wrote:

I used to have some of the RainX stuff - Glass Cleaner 2000 or something like that. Does that stuff still exist? I've used all mine and can't find it in the stores anymore.
- Bryan
Gee, I don't know, Bryan. I got mine about 5 years ago as a bonus to a package of RainX at Costco. I just used a smidgen of it a few days ago, AAMOF.
David
Bryan wrote:

Thanks David. Hopefully someone knows of a source. The stuff worked great.
- Bryan
David wrote:

I buy RainX at local Napa Auto Parts store. Great stuff to use on winshields.
Wayne

xrongor wrote:

with
on
Inside or outside? Maybe you should try washing them more often :-)
I suggest the original YELLOW label BonAmi. It will not harm the glass and leaves no film when done. Note: it is not easy to find the YELLOW label, most are GOLD label. Hunt around, try the hardware stores, especially the old time type. The Gold label has a harder abrasive and can scratch the glass in time as does almost all other cleansers.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I agree, use Bon Ami. I have very good results with Bon Ami Foaming Spray, it will clean anything off glass, where Windex did nothing. Or try the original cake or powdered Bon Ami, with water you scrub it onto the glass and let it dry. Then with a soft cloth, you wipe off the white power film. It will even take off paint overspray, I should know, we used it in an autobody paint shop.
Bon Ami is very difficult to find in most markets, I guess they don't offer the local stores enough kick-back to make it worthwhile to stock. You mostly find at least one version in small chains, where they try to have products that the big chains won't carry.

soap
through
hoping
work
glass
can
Eric Tonks wrote:

Look here: http://www.faultless.com/ironing.htm
JerryMouse wrote:

On of the "locations" listed for the BonAmi is:
http://www.agelong.com /
Which is where I get mine. BTW it appears the cakes are no longer available.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

A razor blade can scratch a window, don't do it. Nothing cleans glass like ammonia.
Not knowing what the particular film on your window, you may want to try alcohol, kerosene, vinegar, or CLR (wear gloves with this stuff). If the kerosene works, then you'll need to clean off the kerosene with a strong detergent before following up with ammonia. Avoid anything abrasive.

careful use of a razor is not something that will hurt glass. I've done lots of it and never had any better luck on something like what you describe. The trick is to not screw up the razor's edge. If it gets bent at all it *will* scratch the glass,.............how deep is dependet on how messed up the blade is.
Change blades often and keep them clean and this is a great tool for glass cleaning.
It also helps to have a blade holder that's worth anything.
Consider PLASTIC RAZOR BLADES they are designed for this also and are safe for those who are challenged by these matters.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

Try A&H
Use Arm to pick up Hammer and SWING!
Then find sale on glass :)

with
on
Have you tried hot water and some TSP?
Zud works well, a powdered cleaner with a mild acid , a cleaner similar to comet
xrongor wrote:

I use Zap glass and surface cleaner from the Dollar General Store. $1.50 will get you a 40 ounce bottle. My windows were pretty much the same as you describe yours, and it cut right through.
Bill Gill
thx for all responses. i think i got some of the mentioned stuff somewhere ill give it a shot.
thx randy

with
on
Have you tried products like CLR?