How to clean stainless steel?

Page 1 of 2
I wish I had never bought this refrigerator with a stainless steel front panel.
No matter what I do, I end up with some streaking. Not too bad, but annoying.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I agree, I installed a island SS vent hood. Could not keep the f'ing thing clean.
There are spray products at the Box stores that help. I bought the one I used at Lowes. Goes on like foaming window cleaner. Leaves a nice finish for awhile. Some people love SS I prefer things that I can wipe willy-nilly once a week and have them look good in-between.
A little dab will do a large area.

I couldn't agree more. SS is a royal pain in the ass, almost as bad as grouted tile countertops.
Who started this SS craze anyway? Was something wrong with enameled steel, which you can wipe down once every six months and have it always looking brand new?
You must have kids, or something. I have no problem keeping mine clean.

Maybe it was whoever started the wooden floors in the kitchen craze? If it was, I bet he also started this Biiig Hooood over the range stupidity, too.

"It's been done."
Cheers, Banty
We had all the problems mentioned above for YEARS!! That is .until I tried, "Stainless Steel Wipes" .. these come in a plastic tub like baby wipes.. No other product or imitation has worked like these... Very pleased. If your stuff is really bad clean it first then wipe down with these wipes.. If they are clean already, just wipe them down. These really do a streak free, astounding job. They leave a deep streak free sheen for weeks! Again, "Stainless Steel Wipes" in the plastic tub... nothing else we tried works..
My 2Cnts, and it saved our Sub-Zero from being Subterranian... G-man
What brand-name did you use? Doing a Google, I found several, such as Weiman, Frigidaire, and some apparently commercial ones. I've never come across them at the supermarkets I shop at (then again, I wasn't looking for them either, lol).

Why do they call something so easily streaked "stainLESS", they could call it "stainMORE" and be more accurate.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Flitz. It's a bit pricey, but it works great.
Sandy K.
I have tried Windex but it leaves faint streaks. Dishwashing detergents are the same. I have tried furniture polish. That works pretty well but I feel silly applying wood polish to stainless steel.
There a no spots, just mildly annoying streaks. Amana says to use SS cleaner only if there are spots.
I guess I will have to treat my refrigerator with beeswax furniture polish. Seems to work best.
Thanks
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Some types of finishes in SS show streaks etc. more than others, and some types of owners have less realistic expectations of what it's supposed to look like than others.
I think that if you took a random orbit sander and some 1000 grit paper to the things, the problem would go away.
Of course, you wouldn't be able to use your furniture as part of your space telescope anymore, or even shave in it.

I have a stainless kitchen and I wouldn't have it any other way. The mistake is thinking an SS kitchen is supposed to be POLISHED stainless. It is brush finish., even if it didn't start that way. Then a little steel wool will bring the finish right back. Most times a scotch bright is all you need.

That's some mighty stupid advice. If it works for you, great. But there's a wide range of SS finishes, and a wide range of scotch bright pads -- the heavier duty of which will scratch the hell out of SS.
Always follow your manufacturer's instructions.

If you think stainless is supposed to have a mirror finish you have missed the point. Stainless is supposed to be a tough, low maintanence, imperviable, burn proof, germ free surface. It is supposed to look like someone actually works here. If you just want a pretty walk through kitchen that nobody cooks in, get granite or Corian with painted appliances
says...

Hmmm, granite with 'painted' appliances. Sounds good to me. What's your beef with neatness?
If two kitchens can be used the same way, and one look good, and the other look all stained, I guess which one you pick depends on your aesthetic and who you're trying to impress.
Do you honestly see a connection between messy kitchens and good food?
Banty (worked in a German restaurant kitchen)

Stains are not an issue, nor is cleanliness once you assume stainless is a "brushed" finish, not a polished finish. It is no accident that commercial kitchens are all stainless ... but they are not polished stainless. You can also order your appliances in brushed finish, usually referred to as fingerprint free or some such language. Once you decide brushed is the way to go, all those scratches add to the ambiance.
I think Sears has some kind of a product for cleaning stainless steel - especially for appliances. Some of the new appliances even come with a little bottle of this liquid that you can apply that keeps the hand marks form appearing. Best thing is to call Sears appliances and ask them if they sell anything like this. I'm sure it's pretty popular...
Those wipes I use couldnt scratch anything, they are just wet towels, and at a few dollars a tub, ,again I recommend them..
"Stainless Steel Magic Wipes" http://www.magicamerican.com/products_a.shtml
Only those have worked for us.. no other product , including the other stuff they sell, just the wipes... g