How to clean out "stack"?

Both of our toilets are running slow and from what I've read here, I think our vent stack might be blocked. How do I clean it out? I would guess that I go on the roof and use a hose or a toilet snake??? Also, how can I tell when it is clear? When the toilets run better?
Thanks.
Had same problem, due to years of accumulation of pine needles 8 feet down a four inch cast iron stack. First poured in a quart of hydrochloric acid (muriatic), let it fizz awhile, then jetted it out by snaking down a tapered nozzle on end of garden hose. It worked. Then, for future protection, I attached 1/4 inch galv. hardware cloth "caps" over all vents, securing them with galv. wire.
I think our

Roger wrote:

iron pipe that the acid ate up... it cost me $4600 to have a drain pipe that was eated up by acid under a concrete slab house.. i would never use acid to clean a pipe.. thats why they have metal snakes to clean out drains...
Rileyesi wrote:

Run the hose into it. Have a helper inside to watch for water coming out of sink traps, etc.
If water goes down OK, the vent is not the problem.
Jim

Hot water and a quart of Ammonia. Pour the Ammonia into the toilet and let stand for a few minutes then pour a bucket of hot water down. Repeat on all drains in the house. Ammonia will cut grease and sludge. If you need a little more help then use the expanding plug on the garden hose. Pour Ammonia down the drains one a month for maintenance.

You could easily crack a porcelain toilet by pouring hot water into it!