How to Clean a pitted Aluminum Extension Ladder

How do I clean a pitted aluminum extension ladder that is so bad it is hard to slide the two sections up and down?

Sand the worst of the rough stuff and spray it with WD40 (Go easy as you don't want to make the rungs slippery).
If the corrosion is really bad, you might have lost some structural integrity. Salt water/air are tough on aluminum.

I don't think you do. If it's pitted that bad, I think it's time for a new one.

Ladders are almost never repaired only replaced. A good ladder will last a lifetime if properly stored. I have a nice selection of ladders. One time one of my step ladder got dented somehow and would not sit level. I had to toss it even though it was an expensive ladder.

I had a 16 footer that got damaged, tossed 1/2 the other half I use in my shed with 10 foot cieling height.
If its cosmetic wash and perhaps spray with clear acrylic, if its ANYTHING even remotely structural sell it for scrap and buy a new one.
WAY TOO EASY TO GET HURT!