How to choose a structural engineer?

I have a 15-year old home in Raleigh-Durham NC (clay soil) that is showing signs of settling: doors not closing properly and getting worse as the years go on, outside garage wall separating away from slab, one small crack above an interior door, crack in garage slab.

After searching the archives for this group, it seems like I should contact a structural engineer first, and a foundation repair company later. Apart from picking someone out of the yellow pages, does anyone have any other suggestions on choosing a professional? I'm not sure what qualities I'm looking for or what questions to ask.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Vince

Reply to
Vince

I live near you. I can give you a recommendation if you send me an email. You will have to remove my spam preventer to reply. I used 2 engineers for litigation and will give you both names.

signs of settling: doors not closing properly and getting

one small crack above an interior door, crack in garage

contact a structural engineer first, and a foundation repair

anyone have any other suggestions on choosing a

Reply to
Art