How to check for space *before* denting hood?

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original wad size.

Thanks

Reply to
micky

A car accessory should tell you what car it fits on. If not you just eyeball it. Is this for those holes you were talking about making? Anyway, unless you know how to do it, don't. If you do, close the hood slowly when you done.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the same size as your "accessory".

Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

Ok, take a long broom or something else with straight wood. Place this over the open hood. Measure under it to see how much free room there is for the item. Now lift it and make sure you measure to same spot on the hood, measure above it and add the 2 to see if it fits.

Reply to
cshenk

Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff) and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

A good idea. I have some baby powder too!

I have to think about it.

Reply to
micky

I like this too. I will try it tomorrow. Even if there are other ways for this situation, I want to practice for when yours is the only way.

Reply to
micky

I think this is best today. I have some near-styrofoam that I saved from the trash just in case, and it's been in the way and getting on my nerves. This must be the reason I saved it.

It was 5 feet long and an 3/4 inch thick, until it broke in half. Couldn't figure out how I would use it but didn't want to throw it away.

Thanks, Paul, Cs, Derby, and Vic

Reply to
micky

Get a blob of modeling clay, or just make a still water-flour dough, put it inside a plastic baggie (unsealed) and then do the squeeze test to capture the representation of the clearance.

Reply to
Pete C.

Use a little kid or a drunk friend, the sounds they make will let you know how much clearance you have. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I knew that eventually, we'd have a winner.

.

Use a little kid or a drunk friend, the sounds they make will let you know how much clearance you have. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also good ideas. I had thought of the modeling clay,, but didn't want to buy new and then get it dirty with car dirt. I even thought of dough, but again, the dirt. A baggie is a great idea.

Reply to
micky

Put both your wife and your dog under the hood and then close it. Come back in 20 minutes and open it and see which one is the happiest to see you.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Try modeling clay, play-doh, etc.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Find a child who is roughly the size of the item you are trying to determine the clearance. Place the child under the hood, and close the hood.

If you hear a "clunk" when you close the hood, followed by a loud screaming sound, you do not have sufficient clearance for your accessory item.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

Yup, dont always have a block of styrofoam you can cut to fit. This requires only a broom handle and a small kids ruler or in my case, the simple sewers measuring tape. You can use a bit of string too for measuring.Just mark it then put the marked ends together over the item and see if it fits. Takes about 2 minutes.

Reply to
cshenk

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

LOL! If you enjoy cutting styrofoam for 10 mins or so to fit the device then adding babypower and all that, you must be a guy! I'd be done in 2 mins flat (snicker).

Reply to
cshenk

Leave hood closed. Drive immediately to doctor's office for treatment of injuries.

NOT!!!! FAIL!!!!

.

Find a child who is roughly the size of the item you are trying to determine the clearance. Place the child under the hood, and close the hood.

If you hear a "clunk" when you close the hood, followed by a loud screaming sound, you do not have sufficient clearance for your accessory item.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody gave the right answer.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

So today I used the near-styrofoam** and there's enough room. **It's not open foam like styrofoam but a bunch of "plastic" spheres 1/2" in diameter. all stuck togeher. But it doesn't spring back.

Also, Firestone was open and they sell Interstate Batteries, and they had the very same model I have now. No handle. And room for the Battery Buddy. At first I didn't know where to buy Interstate -- thought it came from one of those autoparts stores -- but their very good webpage shows about half Firestone and a similar number of independent mechanics. P.S. The height dimension includes the posts!!

Tomorrow will be colder.

Reply to
micky