How to change oil in old Montgomery Ward snow blower?

I just acquired an old MW snow blower and need to change the oil, but I have not idea where the drain plug is. It is a 4HP, Tecumseh from around 1984. The model number label is worn, so I have no idea what it is. I have never changed oil on a snow blower, so I don't even know where to start.
Also, it says to use, 5W-30. Do I use the same kind of oil as I do for a lawnmower, or do I use auto oil??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regular automobile oil 5W30, as specified, will do the trick.
Now, as to the drain plug. Look for a fitting somewhere near the bottom of the engine. Should be something like a square fitting on a threaded plug, a recess in a threaded plug, or the like. I am not familiar with that engine, but it should be pretty obvious. Use the right tool to get it out.

oil plug. I emptied the oil by turning it over and draining it through the fill tube. Turned out to be easier than using the oil plug on my old lawnmower. People will certainly tell me it doesn't get all the oil out, but I only put 15 hours a year on the mower; how bad can the oil be. Hopefully you don't use a snowblower all that much either.
02:41:32 GMT, Toller wrote:

This is *exactly* what the manual for my new Toro lawnmower said to do.
--
Seth Goodman

perhaps synthetic motor oil.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You've seen 5W-30 made specifically for lawn mowers? All the oil recomendations I've seen for lawn mowers recommend using various oil products that are widely used in and marketed for autos. Same for snowblowers.

As others have said, the drain is usually a square headed plug near the lowest point. Some mowers now have none, and you tip them over and use the fill to drain. Haven't seen that on a snowblower though.
The oil I have is for 4-cycle tractor/lawnmower engines. But it is actually 10W30, not 5W.
I think I found it. On the bottom in the back is just one bolt with 4 sides. I thought it was a mointing bolt, but all of the others are standard, this is the only one with four.
Thanks for all of the tips.

Yes, the "bolt" with four sided head is actually a drain plug.
With 4 HP, probably 20 ounces of new oil. I like Castrol. On my last truck, it was the only brand that quieted the rod knock for more than two days.
For a snow blower, 5-W30 is the stuff to use. Lawn mower runs in the summer, so it uses a higher weight number.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.