How to change color of porcelain bathtub

Anyone have experience or recommendations for changing the color? What products did you use? How long did the finish last before peeling, bubbling, getting dull looking, etc.?
A pro in central N.J. wants $395 to do it and only offers a 1-year warranty.
Thanks,
Ray

From what to what?

My local newspaper had a column on tub refinishing,and the best ones offer a 5 or even 10 yr warranty and use a urethane finish coat that is non- yellowing(white). Tub Prep is extremely important to finish life.
You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT use an abrasive cleaner;409 is recommended.
I'd also check the "pro's" Better Business Bureau rating first.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Regarding your comment on abrasive cleaners, the DIY kits offered on here,
http://www.refinishingonline.com/directions.htm
requires using sandpaper - a far cry from gentle 409 - before applying the bond coating that goes on before the finish coat.
I guess I'll rely on the manufacturer of which ever product I use.
Thanks for the reply.

I think you jumped the gun on that reply. The sanding is done to the tub before the finish is applied. It will ruff up the old surface of the tub. . That is so it will help bond to the tub. After the finsih is applied and has dried and you start using the tub, then you do not want to use anything with abrasive in it. That will scratch the finished surface.

that is to rough up the porcelain for adhesion,or to remove and smooth rust spots and chips. use silicon carbide paper;"wet-or-dry",not papers used for wood sanding. some kits supply an acid etchant,but that usually smells real bad.

Sorry for the confusion,the 409 is for AFTER you have refinished the tub. Even Soft Scrub and other "non-abrasive" cleaners will ruin your gloss.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You have to sand, even scrape with razor blades, and acid wash, if it isnt perfectly clean it will fail, a guy to 1 day to clean mine right, its been on maybe 5 years. Cleaning is what will make it last. The surface must be dulled.
alt.home.repair:

There are companies that will put new porcelain on, but that requires that the tub be removed, sandblasted, and refired. It's only worth doing for a really special tub.
All the others methods are essentially a really good paint job. You then have to forever treat it as paint, not porcelain.
There are also slip-in plastic liners, but they tend to leak around the drain holes and get water underneath. I once stayed at a cheap motel that had 1/4" of water underneath. I thought I was taking a shower on a waterbed.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Sherwin Williams sells the 2 part epoxy for tubs
Ray K wrote:

house (vacant) so haven't used it and can't speak to the process' longevity. The tub was originally white or whitish, since it's a 50+ yr old tub that had lots of stains etc. It is now bright white, as in blindingly. This company guaranteed it for 3 yr? maybe 5? (Papers are at the old house). And he did say not to use abrasives. Also said not to let water drip on it (he actually taped little paper cups to the faucet when he was done) and said that would destroy even an unglazed tub. And also not to expose to products like drain cleaners, which in that house could be difficult. Oh, and no tub mats, although foam ones are supposed to be ok. I'm seriously considering having the ugly blue tub in my new house glazed white, once all of the other improvements are paid off.

NOT "reGLAZED",but refinished.

sounds like a urethane finish. epoxies yellow over a short time.

All porcelain tubs come "glazed",it's part of the porcelain process. Water IS a powerful etchant,it can cut thru rock,steel,ceramics....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
> NOT "reGLAZED",but refinished. Thanks for the clarification. I'd just heard someone, somewhere talk about reglazing and picked up the term. The company actually uses refinish in their name, so it's not like they were being misleading.
I was just at my old house yesterday, getting ready for an open house, and still find it startling to walk into the bathroom and see how shockingly white the tub is, since it was stained for so long. Here's hoping that helps make the difference to the people who came to the open house today!

I hope the new owners will know to not use abrasive cleaners.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote: