How to change a light bulb???

I never though I would as this question, but...

I have a ceiling fixture that is a two blub domed glass on a metal ceiling mount. It was purchased at home depot. There is NO discernable means to remove the glass from the metal part other than a seam. No screws, no center shaft, nothing. The glass is firmly affixed to the metal. I also tried rotating the metal base but it moves only a very little bit.

Believe it or not, I mounted this fixture myself. But I can't remember how to remove the glass to change the bulbs (senior moment I suppose).

Has anyone any idea how I might accomplish this task short of visiting my nearest home depot?

Thanks

Reply to
Bob M

"It was purchased at home depot. "

I would guess you could ask there, or at least give us a link to the specific fixture on their web site so we can take a look at it.

Reply to
jmeehan

This isn't one of those that has two pieces of spring wire inside holding the glass globe to the base, is it?? I have a fixture that uses that method of holding the globe and you need to pull down on the globe in order to access the bulbs or remove the globe. The spring wires draw the glass globe to the base when the globe is pushed up but allow the globe to be lowered about four inches for access.

Reply to
Ken

Bob M wrote in :

The glass cover probably screws directly into the base. Turn the glass counter-clockwise.

Reply to
SteveBell

Try prying at the seam. If that don't work hit it with a hammer.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Left loosy, righty tighty I always say.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Pull down until it comes off. Either it will slide right off or it will break, and you can replace the fixture with something that you'll remember how to access.

Either way you'll still end up going to Home Depot so it won't matter.

Reply to
mkirsch1

We have a similar fixture - the glass dome unscrews. The glass dome is threaded, I think, not the bump/slot style. Our fixture is a little loose, so it makes unscrewing the dome a trick. I'm sure the glass has to be turned counter-clockwise as you are looking at it. Might have to have someone steady the metal fixture whilst you turn the dome.

Reply to
Norminn

Got IT!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. The glass turns counter clockwise about an inch and falls out. But, it must be cool. When the fixture is hot the glass expands and without a hammer is not budging. I let it cool a couple of hours, help the metal rim, using the palm of my hand I rotated the glass and voila, turn it did.

Thanks all. B

Reply to
Bob M

Thanks for reporting the solution!

Reply to
LouB

Retard

Reply to
Bob M

Bob M wrote in :

Now don't give him too hard a time. I've had calls from people who couldn't figure out which way to turn something. They needed to repair something very minor, which they could have done themselves, but they couldn't take it apart, so they gave up and called me.

I have to find a diplomatic way to let them know that, yes, they're idiots, but that it's only temporary, and so is everyone else once in a while. Then I offer to fix other stuff so they don't have to give me an hour's pay for two minute's work.

Reply to
SteveBell