How to capture a critter in the attic?

We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic. You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

"

".

Reply to
SMS

"

".

Give it time - it could take several days - but if it is only a mouse, tripper will probably not be set off. I've had them eat peanut butter out of regular snap traps.

If it is a squirrel, after you get it, seal openings. One of my son's had a squirrel die in his chimney and it cost several hundred dollars to have removed and repairs made. I get mice in attic sometimes and I just toss poison bait up there. If they die, I do not smell them.

Reply to
Frank

Think cat.

Reply to
HeyBub

In the attic? Then you'd soon have TWO carcasses to deal with.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Try using a stinky smelling cheese as bait.

It would be a good idea to smoke the trap to remove human scents.

5-1/2" height and width may not be large without if it's anything larger than a roof rat.
Reply to
Dick Adams

Could be bats.

If a female whatever has young up there they might squeal for a couple days then stink for a couple weeks. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

If you have squirrels I think that trap will do fine.

If you think you have more than one, or very smart squirrels, you may want to leave it baited but wired so it can't trip and let them get used to eating the bait. Otherwise if they're very wary the first time, they may trip it and not get caught, and be trap shy from then on. Rats are smarter than squirrels in this respect but I've never had them in the attic.

For bait i use peanut butter mixed with a little bacon grease and thickened with a little cornmeal (othewise the bacon grease makes it too runny.) I haven't found anything I can't catch with that.

But that trap will not catch mice. Mice make a LOT of noise, far out of proportion to their size. You'll need either snap traps or the mini version of that trap. I have one that's about 2x2 that takes mice, but you have to set the trigger very light. you might have to file it.

When you kill them don't get blood on the trap.

Reply to
TimR

It won't work...you need to toast the bread first.

And trim off the crust...

And use crunchy peanut butter...not creamy ;

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools
22 for mice 12 gauge for the roof rats

"

".

Reply to
Big Bob

Nah. I've got one cat that, every time the stairs come down, it's ZIP to the attic!

Once he checks out everything, he comes down. If I don't notice he's up there, he'll meow at the stairs 'till I "open the door."

Reply to
HeyBub

With bats, a temporary way to get them out is to buy one of those high pitched buzzers. Now children who have not had their ear drums damaged by rock & roll and other loud noises, can hear theses. And the bats will get used to them after a long period of time. But if you can get them out and plug the vent they came in by putting mesh behind it, you might be able to get it done that way.

In the winter they do hibernate. At that point you can just go up and pluck them out of the rafter and dump them in a bucket of gasoline to kill them.

Reply to
Dymphna

Non-human animals follow the law of the land. If they find a resource they need, they use it.

So you should kill 'em. Right?

Buy or rent a live trap-cage big enough for a squirrel and bait it. Check at least once/day. When you've got the furry critter, throw the cage and captive in the trunk the car, drive 20+ miles, and let him loose.

Puddin' Man

Reply to
Dick Adams

Yes. They are outlaw animals.

Into someone else's back yard. Who moves him to yet another victim's back yard. This goes on forever, and you think it's a good idea?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Yeah, I told one of the neighbors that I was going to let my rat free over by the former mayor's house (who I don't like).

Reply to
SMS

You forgot to mention that you need to call the fire department after the house catches on fire. ;

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools