how to break up block of concrete

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6 inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform to local ordinances.) -- H
I've found that a decent sized sledge hammer works well (wear your safety glasses!)
If you're not looking to suplement your weekly workout in this manner, you could rent/borrow a small hammer drill with a spade bit and chop it up that way.
If you live in a cold climate, you could do some science experiments with water poured into the hole and allowed to freeze, and maybe alternating hot/cold to thermally stress it. These methods will take some time, but could be interesting to try out if you're into that sort of thing.
You've already removed it from the ground? Why not just bury it somewhere else?
-rev
Guy 1: What's the hole for? Guy 2: So I have someplace to put the dirt from this other hole...
Dave
On 14 Nov 2005 13:53:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Good idea, that will also give you dirt to fill the original hole.
Heathcliff wrote:

Around here, our trash collectors won't take any concrete. Call the city garage. That's what I did when I had to dispose of concrete from an old sidewalk. They didn't charge me a dime either. I just used a sledge-hammer to break it up. Not sure how well that'd work in your situation, though.
-Felder
On 14 Nov 2005 14:37:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
:Heathcliff wrote: :> It's an 18-inch :> diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6 :> inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the :> trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? : :Around here, our trash collectors won't take any concrete. :Call the city garage. That's what I did when I had to dispose of :concrete from an old sidewalk. They didn't charge me a dime either. :I just used a sledge-hammer to break it up. Not sure how well that'd :work in your situation, though. : :-Felder I'm told that concrete can be ground into aggregate to be used in construction, presumably as concrete fill. You should be able to recycle that blob.

A big sledge will get er done. Eye protection, jeans and long sleeves are a must.
If you stay at home on garbage day and have it in chunks small enough to be lifted safely, a generous tip to your refuse collector tends to make it disappear.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

I've been trying to break up a 30 gal drumful of concrete with a big sledge for a few days. Each humongous blow dislodges a teaspoon of concrete. Where can I buy a "plug and feathers" aka "rock jack" or some expanding powder?
Nick

Save on energy, effort and band aids. Throw a chain on it, pull it out, and take it in one piece to the local landfill or 7-11 dumpster.
Steve, who's done it more than once.
throwing it into a dumpster is stealing. Someone has to pay to get that removed , probabley has to pay by weight. So the extra cost has to come from someones pocket. Same as stealing his money.
writes:

I believe your looking for Feathers and Wedges?
Check Miles Supply http://www.milessupply.com/drilling.htm bottom of the page.
Darwin
I recently bought a 16# sledge from home depot for smashing an old sidewalk, it worked well. i put a little muscle into it but for the most part i let the hammer do most of the work.
Fish
On 14 Nov 2005 13:10:45 -0800, "Heathcliff"

fish wrote:

Yes! That is the right way to break up concrete. Full force, round house blows are great for building muscle mass but are wasted effort. What does it are repeated moderate blows in the same spot (or in a line if breaking a slab). At the start it will 'ring' with each blow then after repeated blows "thud" . The block or slab has cracked.
Harry K
On 14 Nov 2005 13:10:45 -0800, "Heathcliff"

It's easy to break it up. Take it to the roof of a 5-story building, and throw it off.
Or you could rent an electric jack-hammer. That might be overkill, but it's better than no plan. A contractor next door let me use his jack-hammer. It was surprisingly easy. The hard part was lifting it back up after it went through the sidewalk. The handles were as high as my shoulders, so that made it worse. I'm 5'8". I felt like I had a workout after only 3 or 4 minutes. But you'll have 4 hours. Wear goggles.

Just dig a deeper hole next to it, and push it in.
Use all your remaining energy to call "Got Junk" (1-800-gotjunk). They'll haul away almost anything. Well worth the cost.

Heathcliff wrote:

Suggestions for the blob:
1. Put out by curb on garbage day, topped with a chilled six-pack. 2. Leave in schoolyard in about two weeks (during dark of moon). Dilbert's boss did that with an old refrigerator. 3. Clean. Paint green. Place on city hall lawn with plaque: "Honoring the citizens of (town name here) who gave their lives during the great war, 1914-1919."