How to bait a haveaheart trap? (Squirrels in the attic)

I just created an access hole to get into my attic. ( came out great! ) Last night I placed a trap up there but I'm wondering if I should have baited it differently? I know its squirrels running around up there.
The trap is roughly 7" x 7" x 30" (guess, I didn't measure it) both ends open and there is a platform in the middle that triggers both ends to close.
I used a piece of wire to fasten half an apple to this platform then smeared peanutbutter on the apple. Both ends of the trap are open.
Would it be better to close one end and put the bait back at the closed end so the squirrel would have to go over the trigger to get to the bait.
What would be the best bait to use?
How smart are squirrels? If one saw another get trapped would they know to avoid the trap?
Now that I have access to the attic I'm hoping I can deal we these pests myself!
TIA for any squirrel trapping advice?
Steve

Yes. Close one end.

The one you're using is fine. Peanut butter on almost anything will work (bread, crackers, etc). You don't need apples.
x-no-archive: yes

Squirrels are evil creatures! I've had them in the attic as well and resorted to shooting most of them. Trapping is possible but forget relocating the captured criminals, they'll come back. Instead, put the trap in a barrel of water to see how long they can blow bubbles for. Ideally, you must find out how they're getting in there and eliminate access while installing a "one-way door". You can buy these or make one yourself, google will offer much info on these. I know I sound evil but anyone who's had non rent paying tenants in the attic will understand :) As for bait, a piece of bread slathered with peanut butter is good. Toast the PB slightly with a torch or lighter, this makes it very fragrant. Pecan paste is the best bait but rather difficult to find.
Good luck with the vermin ;)
Gary

I live in Mass so I would have a better chance of marrying the squirrel than getting a bb gun to kill it.
I think I see where they are coming in. There a 2.5" hole just below one of my gutter downspouts. I'll look up the info on a one way trap door. Without killing them though I suspect they wil dig another hole.
I'll have no problem counting the bubbles.
Thanks
Steve
comcastss news groups wrote:

    I like your "Marrying" comment. We in "Flyover country" would tend to agree with it from our observation of what happens up there.

than
Where's "flyover country"?
This state (mass) is an embarrassment!
My whole family would like to move, we just haven't figured out where to go?
Steve
comcastss news groups wrote:

    I am currently living in Arkansas, but I was raised in Illinois. Both could be classified as "Flyover country." At any rate, the thinking in both (excluding major cities like Chicago etc.) do not see things like they apparently do in Mass. We are still celebrating the fact we got rid of the Clintons. Yes, they occasionally come down to make an appearance at the "Pervert Palace," but fortunately they leave. Life is GOOD!!!
Lar wrote:

Yeah. I knew a publisher representative in Houston who was called by the head office in NY and asked to pick up an author at the Dallas airport! (~300 miles) Texas has 254 counties, some larger than some states (with fewer people than would fit in an elevator). I spent some time as a deputy sheriff and recall an incident (blood donation for an injured officer) where I had to drive almost all the way across the county. Running red lights and siren, at 2:00 am, the trip still took over an hour.

Whats your weather like? Spring thru fall is nice here. although the change in seasons bothers my asthma. in contrast to the crappy winter cold and snow.. Its in the 30's right now, light snow last night
I dont know if I would like the heat? I guess you get used to it.
Steve
Toast the PB slightly with a torch or lighter,

I like this idea and will try it. Need something the squirrel cant resist.
Does it help do camouflage the trap?
( back to the "how smart are squirrels" question )
Steve

squirrels are nice creatures. I encourage everyone to add hardware cloth and a one way door, then secure the area.
if you kill them more will just move in the area, squirrel proof your home and your done
comcastss news groups wrote:

Here on John's site, he has more squirrel info than you can shake a stick at... http://www.unexco.com/trapsquirrels.html there is also a squirrel message board if you need to ask direct questions.
Lar
Peanut butter is fine, and both ends open is fine. Squirrels are very easy to trap.
Check the trap very frequently, and when you catch one, take him and the trap to wherever you're going to release him (I recommend an upscale neighborhood) with minimum fuss. Squirrels get very stressed by being a captive, and you wind up with a dead squirrel.
(If you want a mental puzzle, imagine how you'd deal with a skunk if he wound up in your trap.)
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Not a problem. I use Hav-a-hart traps for woodchucks that ruin my garden. A few times I've ended up with skunks in the traps. Hav-a-harts have solid end doors so you can walk right up to the trap from one end without problem. I keep a few metal rods with bent ends just for this operation. You reach over the trap and open the opposite door with the rods - and shove one thru the side to keep the door open if necessary. The skunks leave the trap pretty quick and all they are interested in is getting the hell away from you. BTW, most traps are low enough to prevent the skunk from raising his or her tail.
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:45:15 -0400, "comcastss news groups"

Peanut butter on a triscuit wafer worked for me. I caught 6 squirrels last week (one per day). I had to cover the sides of the trap (with hardware cloth) because the squirrels would reach into the side and steal the bait instead of going inside the trap. Keep both ends open. When the squirrel is trapped he will try to chew his way out, sometimes getting a bloody nose. It is a good idea to set the trap on a plastic surface or at least one that can be cleaned easily.

A good suppply of cleanable surfaces are the obnoxious advertising signs posted on wire legs illegally on public property. They have many uses, including something to kneel on when working on the car, an awning for the radio outside, etc. etc.