how to avoid nailing into wires

I forgot to ask this in my previous post, but the header I am nailing from the outside of the house is about the same level as the outlet wires running through the inside wall. I guess it is really bad to nail into a wire, and probably not an easy way to avoid doing that? Thanks,
-- Jef
I ahve not used them but they make some pretty cool wiring locators now, which may be a good investment. Maybe you can rent them. Hitting a wire with a nail can lead to your house burning down, happened to a friend of mine.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

They have stud/electronic sensors that can tell you approximately where wiring is.
On Mon, 02 May 2005 19:02:09 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (borgunit) wrote:
:They have stud/electronic sensors that can tell you approximately :where wiring is.
See the thread I started about a week ago in this newsgroup:
Subject: Stud sensors - Just picked up Ziron TriScanner OneStep. Is this a keeper?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If this thing you call a "header" is actually a ledger board for a deck, then you should probably consider well what structural members you are actually fastening it to, and also consider using lag bolts instead of nails. Using some flashing with it is a good idea too.
A "header" is the framing piece running across the top of a door, window, or other opening. See these definitions:
http://db.inman.com/inman/content/subscribers/inman/column.cfm?StoryId 0401ag&columnistid=Gellner
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Sorry, hadn't read your first post, but my comments about fastening it on safely still stand. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)