How to attach wooden dowel to fascia board invisibly

I want to attach two 4" long, 1.5" dowels to the fascia board. The free end of each dowel will hold a Y Screw Hook like this:

The two dowels will be 13" apart, so I can place my aluminum extension ladder between the two hooks to prevent side-side motion. Without extending the hooks away from the fascia, the ladder will press against the 1.5" overhang of the first row of (brand new) shingles.

I am aware of hanger hooks like this:

But I'm not sure how to use them, especially with machine screw threads on one end.

Another factor which may or may not be a problem: the fascia board is off-vertical by 18 degrees, the pitch of the ranch house roof.

I welcome your suggestions for other approaches.

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

Buy a pair of ladder standoffs. Or just fasten a couple of wooden blocks to the rails to bear on the fascia.

BTW, if you are getting side to side motion from your ladder, you are doing something wrong.

Reply to
dadiOH

One time I made the mistake of trying to step onto the roof from one rung too low. Naturally, the ladder shifted in the opposite direction. So I'm being very cautious.

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

Also helps if you are using an extension cord or water hose up on the roof. I managed to knock over the ladder with a hose while cleaning the swamp cooler. As a widower, there was no one home to help. Had to wait 2 hours for a neighbor to come home. After that, I always bungee-corded the ladder to a gutter bracket !

Reply to
Retired