How to attach vanity top to base

I bought a cheap bathroom vanity. Came in two pieces - the top, made of what looks to be some kind of white glass/ceramic, and the bottom particle board. In the upper corners of the bottom are 4 plastic triangular pieces with holes in them. These are there of course to secure the top to the bottom. But the top is made of something hard and I'm afraid to drill into it. So how do I secure the top to the bottom? I can't figure out why they even put in the plastic pieces. The kit came with no directions.

Reply to
46erjoe

I put a bead of DAP bathroom caulk around the top of my base cabinet and set the solid-surface top right on it. It set up in a day and hasn't moved since. I'm sure if I needed to get if back off I could cut thru the caulk pretty easily without damaging either the top or the cabinet.

Reply to
Mark

The guys who do this for a living use RTV.

Reply to
gfretwell

Some builder grade vanity tops in my area are set with a bead of caulk along the base top. If they have; as most do, a built in/molded back splash a few dabs of mastic behind the back splash. A razor knife and small wonder bar get them off easily.

These tops are poured/molded with what I guess to be plaster paris (?) but are very durable.

-- Oren

Oren

DIY guys do too. Return The Vanity..right?

-- Oren

Oren

Chuckle. Can you even buy Real Wood vanities and kitchen cabinets any more, other than in a high-end custom kitchen shop? But yeah, a dab of construction adhesive on the corners of the base is usually plenty for a vanity. Don't continuous-glue the thing. That way, when the chipboard vanity disintegrates, it is less work to scrape the top clean to reuse it on the new vanity.

aem sends...

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

Hire a professional

Reply to
Professional

Polyester resin

Durable is as durable does...

Reply to
dadiOH

These look like a faux Corian and the sink and top are all one piece.

I have seen small scratches, but no broken ones.

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren