How to attach Marble Tile

I am not planning to install any marble tile because I think it's far too slippery for a floor. However, I might consider it for a countertop when I redo the kitchen. I was at a home repair store and asked the clerk what is needed to attach the stuff. They highly educated (NOT) employee said he did not know and got the manager who told me that it wont be shiny unless I use concrete. Ummmmmmmmmmm........ It's already shiny and the adhesive is not going to change that unless I coat the surface with it.......
In other words, no one at that store had a dang clue how to install the stuff.
If I want to put it on a countertop, is there an adhesive made for marble tile, or is it more of a thinset type mortar?
I have installed ceramic tile in the past and know either can be used for the tile, but never used marble at all. What would work best for a counter, or is there only one method?
Thanks
Alvin
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

You install marble the same way you install tile. Marble is a poor choice for a kitchen counter...it is soft, may be vesicular and will be damaged by acidic foods.
--

dadiOH

what he said. you will never get stains out of it. unless the kitchen is a trophy kitchen and never used, marble is about the last thing you should use for either countertops or backsplashes.
you install it with thinset. if you're using a light color marble, then you'd use the white type of thinset to prevent staining.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Both responders are correct. You use thinset to lay marble tile. Howevever, marble is a very poor choice for kitchen countertops. If you want the natural stone look, you should use granite tiles or slabs, not marble. Marble is a much softer stone than granite and will scratch and stain much easier than granite. You are going to spend about the same amount on either tile, however, granite will stand up to cutting, heat and stains much better than marble.
For more information visit www.carrollstileandstone.com.