how to attach an addition?

We will be buying an older home in Florida. It's on concrete slab, with stucco'd cement block walls. Basically, it's an L-shape and I want to extend one leg of the L. I can envision how to do much of this, but seek advice on how to tie in the new to the old.

  1. How should the new slab be connected to the existing slab?
  2. How should the new concrete block walls be connected/tied to the old walls? (Which is effectively at the corners of the old wall.)
  3. Any tips on how to make the stucco match (texture, continuity) so it doesn't appear to be separately applied?

Especially for the first 2 questions, if you also have any recommendations for books that would be a good reference I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Reply to
BobAtVandy

You may need to get your horse out in front of the cart on this project. Before starting work you need a building permit, and to get that you likely will be required to submit plans and specifications. And to get those you will need an architect or structural engineer. Having permits and plans you can get bids. Then review the proposals, do the usual research on the competency and quality of the bidders and select your contractor. Visit some construction sites, spend time in your local library, collect as much info as you can. Then ask the people involved in your project to answer your questions. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I know I'll need to get permits, etc., of course. And I may use some subs. But I may well do some or much of the work myself, which is why I asked the question. I'm not getting the cart before the horse; I want to be sure I understand the entire job before I embark.

Reply to
BobAtVandy

I think his main point, which I agree with, is in most areas you will need plans from a licensed architect to get the permits. The plans will show how the foundations and structures are connected.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

You ARE going to need professional contractors to help you with some of this stuff, if only to make the project safe and permitable.

Nevertheless, here is what we did on our addition (all work permitted and performed by professional contractors).

Slab & footings need to be engineered to support the weight of the addition. You may need a soils report to ensure that the ground beneath is stable. After that, drill horizontally into the existing slab; holes about 12-18" deep, 1/2" dia, every two feet or so, for rebar connectors. Epoxy a 5-6 foot length of rebar into each hole. These connectors stick out into the new slab three feet or more, where they tie into the new slab's rebar grid.

Ours was a stick frame house, so my answer doesn't apply.

We paid our plasterer extra to put a new color coat on the entire house. It might cost an extra $1000, but will be worth it. No plasterer can match existing stucco color OR texture _exactly_. You can buy paints to match the new stucco, but every time it rains you'll see the seam.

HTH

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Great, thanks. That gives me an understanding of tying the slab. Can anyone else comment about connecting the cement block walls?

Reply to
BobAtVandy