How to apply stucco?

I will be having a backyard courtyard built with stucco over concrete block walls. I would like to try doing the stucco myself, but I have no experience with stucco. Are there any good how-to Web sites for this? BTW, what's the difference between stucco and plaster? TIA
Wayne wrote:

Portland cement vs gypsum. You want the portland and - considering the small cost - I'd hire it done.
If you are already getting the block laid ask them how much you will save doing your own stucco before you leap. You can probably get the knack of it by the time you are done but the first parts are going to be ugly and I guarantee you will waste a lot of mud getting started. A real stucco guy will make it look easy and the first hawk full will look as good as the last. Think about the texture you want. There are several variations.