How to affix "tar paper"/felt to roof.

Roofers here in Tx. use a long "staple" shot thru a metal disk to attach "tar Paper" to roof prior to the shingles. I have a small patio roof that I need to shingle myself. Would it be ok to attach the rolled tar paper to the plywood using regular roofing nails thru the metal rings since I don't have access to a heavy duty staple gun?? Thanks..

Just light duty staples if you'll roof it right away. Add the roofing tins/roofing nails if you need it to last a few days. Add vertical strapping if you need it to last a few weeks (years if you drive through upstate NH!:)).

I watched some roofers in Vermont use a neat little trick a few years back. The were roofing a condo complex halfway up a moutain and even in summer it could get pretty breezy.
After they tacked the felt paper down, they stretched plain old kite string along the edges, nailed down every 8 feet or so. None of the felt paper ever tore even after several days of high winds.
-JR
<< Would it be ok to attach the rolled tar paper to the plywood using regular roofing nails thru the metal rings >>
Check your local stores for more easily applied fasteners. In our area the roofers use plastic discs with nails preapplied in areas where power tools are inconvenient. Any scheme to spread the load over a wider area is better for the roofing felt. HTH
Joe
grab a "tack hammer" "hammer stapler" and just lay that stuff down with regular construction staples, you don't need anything fancy, the shingles will be holding the tar paper down.
AgaPSDIVER wrote:

yes thats what i used wben building my garage/shed in the back yard.... you need the large metal disc as they will stop the felt paper from tearing....when the wind blows with just the reg. roofing nails the felt paper will tear off... only have to worry about this until you get the shingles on top of the felt paper(tar paper)..... hope this helps.

Around Charleston SC, folks use plastic disk + large headed roofing nails.
TB
http://www.simplexnails.com /