How to adjust steel linked watch band (Wenger Swiss Military waterproof)

Page 2 of 6

Bummer, unless you are just barely smart enough to:
A) Not buy a $40 chunk of shit watch that doesnt fit without having a jeweler make the adjustment.
B) Do it yourself.
If you cant do either, be ready to pay someone who is.

I think the jewellers answer was a crock. Take it over to a cheap watch kiosk at a mall. They'll fix it for ya for $5.

Its not clear at all, you dont know that they all gouge like that.
Did you actually ask costco what they suggest you do about it ?
Bet they do have some way to get the bands adjusted.
If they dont, buy one of the tools off ebay, it aint rocket science.

And if they dont, return it for a full refund and ring around the jewellers and find one that will match costco's price, tell them what costco wants for that watch, and buy it from them and get them to adjust the band when you buy it.
Vanessa wrote:

nah that's total rubbish, he just doesn't want to do your watch so he quotes a ridiculous price, just ask around its only a 5-10 minute job for someone with the right tools.
I would hate to take a battery job to that guy, he would probably charge $40 for a battery swap and no pressure test.
anyway the point is the tool is about $20, if you have a few bands to do good, but if you only have one band it's a bit of a waste, it shouldn't cost more than $10 to resize the band.
dAz wrote:

I don't mind buying the tool as you never know when you'll need them and it's good to have the right tool on hand.
Do you know what it's called & where's a decent place to buy quantity one? (I'd never buy off of ebay though - it's > 25% stolen goods according to my friend's husband who is in the high tech crime unit of the police dept).
So if you know of a non-ebay source for this tool, of quantity one, for about twenty bucks - lots of us would probably like to know where to get a deal like that.
Vanessa Cara Stancinni

You sound like such a tool that I'm surprised you can't do the job by yourself.

It's called the watch-band disassembler thingamajig and they're available on e-bay.

High tech crime unit? You mean he investigates car stereo thefts?
Trust me, there's not a huge market for stolen watch-band disassembler thingamajigs even on ebay. The latest statistics, from my friend's wife's cousin's mother's imaginary friend, is that less than 5% of the watch-band disassembler thingamajigs sold on ebay are hot. The rest are legitimate, sold by other good folk just like you who had to buy a $50 tool to fix their on-sale-now $40 watches.

There's lots more like you? God help us . . .

Ebay.
Very unlikely indeed that a tool like that would be stolen.
And its easy enough to avoid any risk of stolen stuff with ebay, just look for one of the operations thats clearly using ebay as a cheap way of doing online transactions with a significant volume of the same stuff sold on ebay.

Makes a lot more sense to use ebay and recognise that a tool like that isnt likely to be stolen, particularly if its unused.
Vanessa wrote:

id call a few more jewelers. hell- take it to walmart, and tell em you got it at the local sams club (walmart owns sams), mebbe theyll do it for free.

usenet rule number one:
never use your complete name.

Why not?
Greg Mossman wrote:

wrote>>> usenet rule number one:>>> never use your complete name.>> Why not?> spammers, they scan newsgroups for full names
Nope.

Not with the full name it aint.

And its completely trivial for anyone with a clue to deal with that.

No thanks.
Rod Speed wrote:

whatever, I wasn't asking for your opinion, Rod

No one asked for yours, gutless.

Rule #1 of USENET:
Whenever you post anything, you're soliciting everyone in the world for their opinion of what you wrote.
-hh
message

Corollary #1a of USENET: You had just better hope that everyone in the world doesn't answer.
Vanessa wrote:

yep either this one which will probably be fine with band on that watch http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 363&itemP04647025 or this one which is a bit more versatile http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 363&itemP04751962
first one will cost you $13 the second one about $21

yeah well you are being a bit paranoid, sure I suppose there would some stolen goods on ebay, but in this case I don't think there is a real big market in stolen watch tools, anyway its like anything, buyer beware, you look at the feedbacks, specially what kind of feedbacks, buy from high volume sellers with good feedbacks, I use ebay quite a bit and have saved quite a bit of money in doing so, eg; I fly Radio control planes or slope soarer's for a hobby, the last set of micro servos I bought from ebay cost me $12 each, the same servo in the shops is around $65.
and I have bought this guy before for tools, he is quite good.

again I think its more than likely you will use the tool once and then never touch it again, also if you snap the punch off in the band and jam it then you are going to have a bigger problem.
there has to be someone near you that will adjust the band for $5-$10

And 53% of all statistics are made up according to my dogcatcher's cousin who once thought about signing up for a statistics course.
Vanessa wrote:

got a deal then, didn't you?
--
Your ridiculous little opinion has been noted.

My diesel truck has been modified to run on an environmentally friendly

Had you bought the watch from him, it would have been free. What is his price for the watch? Probably five bucks more but with the service you require.