How to adjust oil furnace electrodes and flame?

What you have is something that is obsolete and will cost more to replace if it fails when contractors are in high demand, when its real cold out I bet you could cut cut your bill in half with a new unit, run the numbers on a payback instead of guessing, its an investment.

Reply to
ransley

PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper

Reply to
salty

Well, my situation was a little different - I heat with gas forced air. My furnace was something like 30 years old when I decided to replace it with a good high-tech non-condensing furnace.

My gas consumption DID NOT CHANGE AT ALL. What did go down was my hydro bill - the new blower is a LOT more efficient (DC Direct drive).

Last time I had the old burner checked (about 5 years before I replaced it) the tech could not believe how efficiently it was burning (and I had set it up myself) I could do whatever needed to be done on the dynasour. On the new furnace things are a bit more complex, but I've already had to repair the inductor fan because the dealer could not get one when mine got noisy

Reply to
clare

You've got something against classic cars? I do drive an older car, as a matter of fact (because I can do most of my own repairs), though admittedly not anything quite that old. Anyhow, maybe I just have a hardon for antique cast iron. It does look very pretty for a boiler, and I consider it a piece of history that's too nice to be consigned to a scrapyard. And if it works as well as it did last year, then I'll be happy with it for now.

- Logic316

Expert:(n) from EX as in 'has been' and SPURT, 'a little drip under pressure'.

Reply to
Logic316

Preceeded by BS (Bullshit) and MS (More shit) degrees.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ah, male bovine droppings. The best indicator of intelligence level.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ahh. The response of those too ignorant to assimilate knowledge.

Reply to
Boden

Obviously with you, Logic, the old adage applies: "Sometimes you just can fix stupid"

and as to your other dumbass post to wanting my email addy..... How about you just look up in this message and all my messages. What is it up there about it that you cant see my email? All you have to do its remove the word "remove" in my email. Dont expect any responses though. If I cant fix stupid in here I sure wont try in an email. I find it ridiculously funny that you cant seem to take simple advice about the fuel burning operation of an oil boiler. A properly tuned boiler (key word: PROPERLY) will save you hundreds of dollars. Personally I dont care if you spend $100 a day in fuel oil and CO up your house one cold winter night and kill yourself and your entire family. Its in the papers everyday. You can just be another statistic. Now you can "Bite Me" again. Bubba Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Your logic on this one Logic again continues to amaze me. You have two CO detectors and thats what you are banking you and your familys life on? You need to learn what those $30-$40 CO detectors really do and do detect. Read here

Nope, I have nothing to do with them and I really dont care if you read it or purchase one. Its just good info. The fact that you think you are going to smell unburnt hydrocarbons before any CO becomes a problem is just plain scary. What happens at 2AM when you are in a sound sleep on a 0 degree night and your boiler soots up? Have you actually ever seen how fast a boiler and chimney can plug when an oil burner futzes up?? Ive seen plenty of them and its not pretty and it happens it literally minutes. You really need to buy a clue on what you are doing. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Actually there have been more than a few cases where the family never woke up to smell anything. Your logic is really flawed.

Reply to
George

If you were talking about a relatively modern boiler (which operates on pressure rather than draft), I would understand what you mean. But apparently you don't realize how big the passages in my boiler are. Maybe you need to familiarize yourself with older heating equipment (circa 1945, it really is a beauty). I already mentioned that this monster used to be a COAL boiler, so the exhaust pipe and chimney are over a foot in diameter and the spaces within the heat exchanger are also quite large. I've have also been monitoring the way it runs every day, so there's no way it can just plug up without warning. Anyhow, I figured out the problem I was having with the flame being a bit too long and sooty. The electrodes did in fact need to be adjusted further away, and before I simply didn't let the furnace run long enough after changing nozzles. This time I let it run for a good half hour afterwards (and left the air intake band open all the way), and when I checked it after it got good and hot the flame was compact and smokeless. It's now just a matter of getting the perfect fuel/air ratio.........

- Logic316

"A diplomat thinks twice before saying nothing."

Reply to
Logic316

Check my reply to Booboo.

- Logic316

"I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses." -- Victor Hugo

Reply to
Logic316

Logic, You keep proving yourself logic-less. I dont care if your flue passages are a foot in diameter. Ive worked on shit 10 times older than that and a hell of a lot bigger. Ive worked on crap that has been around 80 -100 yrs I believe. It had doors on it where you crawl in it to clean it out. If it isnt burning right it plugs up.......simple as that. Ive also done old coal fired converted to oil boilers in residential. The old (donut cast iron boilers). It ALL plugs up if you dont know how to set it up. Last one was a 4 gal hr nozzle some old timer gave up on. I went out and tried to set it up to factory specs. HaHaHa. I couldnt have been any farther from correct. I finally got ahold of some old fart that used digital equipment. He kind of laughed at my attempt to set up this one to specs. First he upped the pump pressure till it almost screamed. Changed to a nozzle I hadnt seen, set the draft, make a couple tweaks and had it running awesome. Brought the efficiency numbers up and all. He was old and had seen a lot of shit. It was interesting to watch an old timer that had changed over to digital. You can buy instruments on ebay and read a book but you still wont have a clue. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

psilliman

logic 316 , Lets get down to basics here. Your 1940s conversion in a coal boiler was never a good idea even when fuel was way less expensive. Your stack temps have got to be very high unless the chamber was re configured to support proper combustion. Fyi an oil fire burns in its own reflected heat in a properly constructed chamber. without that your'e always going to have trouble attaining a decent fire. to set an oil fire properly you MUST use a combustion analyzer , stack temp thermometer , and an accurate oil pressure guage. Sir , with all due respect this is a job for professionals. You shoud realize that your setup at best will never be efficient , & start thinking new eqp't...regards..jack

Reply to
psilliman

New equipment sounds like a good idea.

- Logic316

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties. -- Sir Francis Bacon

Reply to
Logic316

Logic,

how about the baromentric damper? that might even out the ratio..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

gentlemen , by this time you must realize that logic316 is totally intractable and will never 'get it'. you'll never change his mind and he is obsessed with winning this exchange . i've seen this many times on this site , let him keep his totally outdated , inefficient , oil gobbling monster a save our good advice for someone who would listen and appreciate what we have to offer. imho we should shine him on & move on.......regards........Jack

Reply to
psilliman

"Intractable", that's one I haven't heard in a while. Is that some pedantic high school vocabulary word you haven't used since you were quizzed on it and now suddenly felt you just *had* to use on this special occasion, or perhaps something you obtained from a recent copy of Reader's Digest (an excellent magazine for people with short attention spans who can't be bothered to read entire books), or did you go out of your way to consult

simply on my account? In any case, I'm quite flattered.

I will keep my old boiler only until I can afford a new one. I do realize it would cost me more money in the long run if I don't get rid of it soon, but right now at this moment, a replacement just isn't an option. It's as simple as that, you silly cad. Not to mention, it's completely coated with ASBESTOS insulation. I would need to pay a separate cleanup company a sizeable fee just to properly dispose of that stuff in an environmentally safe and legal manner. Do you honestly think I haven't thought about any of this before? Begone, you half-educated philistine, and trouble me with your presence no more.

- Logic316

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight up." -- Fred Hoyle

Reply to
Logic316

you pompous little poor ass. As Bubba always says: "it must suck to be you"

Somebody may have said this before, but if they made a pull string doll of you, it would probably talk for 45 minutes after pulling the string.You started off asking an honest question or 2, but you just didn't like the answers; too bad.

Brrrrrrt!ah, that felt good. what's that aroma?

Reply to
Fartikus