How to adjust oil furnace electrodes and flame?

Page 2 of 5

Instead of paying an arm for asbestos removal you can do it safely, you just soak it with a hose until its completely wet and keep area wet, its of no harm wet.

Instead of paying an arm for asbestos removal you can do it safely, you just soak it with a hose until its completely wet and keep area wet, its of no harm wet.
------------------------------------
And then it *STILL* has to be disposed of as HAZARDOUS WASTE, and thats not free either.

.
Yea in the garbage can it goes like everything else, then to the land fill it goes with all the chemical poisons we dump every day that are a real threat to water and ground. So you DIY in a day or piss off 3-10,000.00 to pro. Asbestos is just bad when airborn so you bury it.

Yea in the garbage can it goes like everything else, then to the land fill it goes with all the chemical poisons we dump every day that are a real threat to water and ground. So you DIY in a day or piss off 3-10,000.00 to pro. Asbestos is just bad when airborn so you bury it.
Please let me know where and when for the next time you do this, so I can video tape it and turn it over to the EPA, and OSHA. I can use the reward money.
ransley wrote:

I take it you encourage dangerous and illegal removal of Asbestos? Do you also collect the 10 % fee for turning them in? I th9ink its time for you to haul your idiot ass over to alt.criminalsRus.

These absestos companies are rip offs all you asbestos co moaners, keep it wet and its safe and thats what the boiler pro I had here did. If you think for one minute all these pros pay to dump it legaly, its just like I dont believe for 1 second you guys wood either, so cry away.

These absestos companies are rip offs all you asbestos co moaners, keep it wet and its safe and thats what the boiler pro I had here did. If you think for one minute all these pros pay to dump it legaly, its just like I dont believe for 1 second you guys wood either, so cry away.
You may be right about rip off but problem is that it is state law and only people that should be removing asbestoses is those that are license by the state you live in if you get cut otherwise fine can out weight property value and jail term. Tony-S

om...
Hmmm. Do you think state law is the same in all 50 states? And since it's obviously not, how do you know which state the OP even lives in? There is a lot of misinformation here. Some are claiming it's a federal law that a homeowner can't remove or repair asbestos in their own house. Others are claiming it's a state law, without even specifying what state they are talking about.
The fact is, as best as I can determine, the laws vary depending on what the asbestos is actually used in and the state. Most states clearly allow a homeowner to remove asbestos themselves, at least in some forms, ie popcorn ceiling, floor tile, siding, etc. And many states use words like "should be removed by professionals", but don't state that there is any law specifically requiring it.
Here for example is what applies to Puget Sound, WA, from their clean air agency:
http://www.pscleanair.org/about/default.aspx
"c. Remove it. You may remove the asbestos yourself if you live in and own your single-family house. New homeowners may remove asbestos prior to occupying their house. If you are renovating your rental property or condominium, or are a renter, you must hire a certified asbestos abatement contractor to remove the asbestos. "
Instead of pontificating without facts, it would be helpful if people claiming there is a federal or state law barring homeowners from doing work on asbestos themselves would post some links and references. I think a lot of folks here have taken things way out of context, are applying laws that license and cover PROFESSIONALS doing removal work, etc.

[...]
---------------------------------------
Its not "State", its FEDERAL. It has to do with the "Clean Air Act" among other things....
http://nlquery.epa.gov/epasearch/epasearch?typeofsearch=epa&filterclause=&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epa.gov%2F&result_template=epafiles_default.xsl&areaname=&areapagehead=epafiles_pagehead&areapagefoot=epafiles_pagefoot&areasidebar=search_sidebar&stylesheet=s/epa.css&sort=term_relevancy&sessionid!CF89D06A089C4163E898CF864910A9&querytext=asbestos%20removal%20AND%20SUBJECT:45&option1=yes&option2=no&option3=no&option4=no&option5=no
you might also want to pull out your copy of 29CFR and do a little homework... start with part 1910.
Now run along and play outside.

.com...
So when did Puget Sound, WA, which is the example I gave cease to be under Federal control? If you bothered to read the reference and link, you'd clearly see that the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, which would seem to be a far more credible authority than you, says it's permissible for a homeowners in that area to remove or work on their own asbestos. Do you think they would be saying that if there were in fact a Federal law banning it in the USA?
BTW, I did take a look at your references, and just as I said before, you are drawing incorrect conclusions and trying to apply laws that cover doing work commercially, for others, or companies or individuals that violated laws concerning the required procedures, methods, proper disposal of the material etc. We all know if you rip asbestos out of a house and throw it around the street or dump it in the woods, it's illegal. BFD.
So don't show us any more stories covering the above. Still waiting for the reference to the Federal law that says it's illegal for a homeowner to remove asbestos in their own home. That should be easy to do, if in fact it exists.
On the other hand, I can show you lots of state and local govt environmental agencies that even talk about how homeowners may remove asbestos popcorn ceilings and the like themselves and dispose of it properly. Now, if there is a federal law banning that, how can that be?
As for running out and playing in traffic, perhaps that explains your lack of comprehension as to what is actually being discussed as opposed to what you want to spew about.

29CFR is part of the Dept of Labor, ie OSHA regulations. The Dept of Labor regulates employment safety, not what a homeowner does in their own house. Do you have an grasp of the various parts of govt and their responsibilities? Which is exactly back to what I said when I entered this thread. That you are confusing laws and regulations that govern companies, employees, etc with those that might govern an individual homeowner working on their own home.
Anything else I can help you out with? Still waiting for that simple excerpt, a paragraph, anything that cites the federal law that says a HOMEOWNER can't deal with asbestos IN THEIR OWN HOME, which is the discussion at hand. It should be easy, if it exists and you know even a tiny bit as much as you claim.
On the other hand, I can show you lots of state and municipalities on the web that talk about how homeowners can properly handle, remove, store various kinds of material containing asbestos. But even better, how about this from the Mesothelioma and Asbestos Awareness Center:
http://www.maacenter.org/abatement/diyabatement.php
"Do-It-Yourself Asbestos Abatement Process After asbestos has been located in the home, there are two options: hire a professional abatement team, or remove the asbestos yourself. Although removing the asbestos without a specialized company often brings further complications and is costly, some homeowners feel as though it is the best option. In order to ensure the highest safety measures for you and your family, it is important to obtain samples and have it tested to make sure asbestos has indeed contaminated the area. You can then proceed with the abatement process after a diagnosis of the room has been performed. Once again, it cannot be stressed enough that asbestos, if left alone, is non-toxic. By removing undisturbed asbestos, you could be creating more of a problem (health wise and financially) if you choose to remove it.
Removing asbestos is not an easy task. By taking on this type of project and the responsibility associated with it, you are foregoing any legal help that you could have received by hiring a professional abatement company. When you do decide to take on the project, it is important to have a game plan. The first steps should include: getting proper breathing ventilation systems for yourself and others that may be working on the project, purchasing protective clothing that can be thrown away after abatement is complete and becoming aware of state and federal regulations when removing asbestos on your own.
Removal procedures first begin with permits that you must obtain from your state regulators. These documents are a guide on how to proceed with the abatement process and proper disposal after removal of the material has been complete. The application that follows with this permit is proof that you are taking full responsibility for safely removing the asbestos from your home without contaminating those inside the house or anyone else that could potentially come in contact with the loose material until it is properly disposed of. There are also fees that vary from state to state regarding the permit and application process. "
How's that dumb ass? If it's against federal law and illegal in the USA, seems they could have just said that instead of outlining the DIY process. But I suppose you know better. LOL
--snip--
How's that dumb ass? If it's against federal law and illegal in the USA, seems they could have just said that instead of outlining the DIY process. But I suppose you know better. LOL
--------------
Everyone knows better than a blind retard...
Excerpt from same site:
"When attempting to perform a do-it-yourself asbestos abatement project, there are many laws and regulations that need to be followed at the state and federal level. There are many laws that can potentially be broken if the proper procedures and guidelines are not followed through the abatement process. Unfortunately, current federal regulations have made it nearly impossible for do-it-yourselfers. Harsh policies force people who wish to remove the asbestos by themselves to hire a professional to lessen legal responsibility for their actions. If not regulated properly, you may be at risk for governmental investigations, criminal charges and hefty fines."
Not that I give a crap... knock yourself out.

Apparently you do give a crap or you wouldn't be posting here would you? Why didn't you just continue on with the next two paragraphs of that excerpt:
"There are different instances that require specific permits and ways to remove the asbestos. Before beginning the abatement process, you must apply and receive all the necessary permits that your area requires. In the application process, you have to describe the location of the asbestos (where it is in the home), approximately how much you will be removing and specify the working conditions that you will be under. The larger the amount of asbestos the more questionable it is for agencies to approve your project. They may require that a professional company come in and help with the process because the removal may be too extensive for just a couple of workers. Permits tend to be required when the amount of asbestos reaches a 'trigger level' that exceeds normal amounts. Again, these regulations differ from state to state so be sure to do your research on the paperwork for legal purposes.
Forms can be mailed to your home after contacting the specified agency. Some documents have also been placed online in printable versions to save time. The legal documents that are necessary in any routine abatement process include the following: asbestos abatement notification form, asbestos variance request form, project manager waiver form, and a compliance checklist. Depending on the family size, the area of demolition or renovation, there could be other necessary paperwork to fill out and be approved. Some states even require a training session that shows how to remove certain types of asbestos. This, again, varies from state to state. In an effort to answer specific questions about home abatement, resources are available on the internet and directly through abatement agencies. If in doubt, or if you feel overwhelmed with the process, do not hesitate to contact a professional company to assist in abatement measures. In either case, it is important to follow the mandated policies and regulations determined by the state and federal government to avoid legal complications.
Last modified: September 22 2008. "
Now that procedure doesn't sound all that difficult or impossible. No one ever said you didn't have to follow the correct procedures, obtain permits, etc, even if you do it yourself. And again they are confirming exactly what I first posted. Which is that contrary to what was claimed by many posters here, there is no federal law making it illegal for a homeowner to work on or remove asbestos from their home and that the regulations covering it vary from state to state.
I already provided an excerpt and link from Puget Sound, WA that makes it clear a homeowner can remove. asbestos there.
Here's some more:
Utah:
http://www.airquality.utah.gov/HAPs/ASBESTOS/info/asbstrem.htm#begin
Note: This publication by the Division of Air Quality is limited to the removal of spray-on ceilings in single family, owner-occupied residential dwellings by the owners themselves. State and Federal regulations require specific work practices and worker training for persons performing asbestos removal projects in all other situations.
Before You Begin Are you sure your ceiling contains asbestos? Not all spray-on, textured ceilings contain asbestos. To know for sure, submit a small sample for laboratory analysis. Cost is minimal. Laboratories are listed in the yellow pages under "Asbestos - Consulting and Testing." A list of local laboratories may also be obtained by contacting the Division of Air Quality at 536-4000. (Return to Table of Contents)
Use a spray bottle to thoroughly wet three or four small ceiling areas with water mixed with a few drops of liquid detergent. Using a putty knife, take a composite sample by carefully scraping about one square inch of spray-on from each wetted area into a zip-lock plastic bag. If the laboratory results are negative, meaning less than 1 percent asbestos was found in the sample, take two additional samples to confirm the analysis.
From Delaware:
http://www.awm.delaware.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/AWM%20Gallery/Air%20Quality/Asbestos/Asbestos%20Removal%20Procedures%20for%20Home%20Owners%20-%20Siding%20final09-06.pdf
Asbestos Removal Procedures for Home Owners
From Minnesota:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/asbestos/homeowner/asbinhomes.html
Remove it Removing the asbestos material may be the best option if the asbestos material is extensively damaged or if it will be disturbed by renovation or other activities.
Homeowners may legally remove asbestos materials themselves from the single-family home they own and occupy. However, MDH strongly recommends using a Minnesota-licensed asbestos contractor.
Old and Grunpy wrote:

Tony -
It's not a state mandate, it's a FEDERAL MANDATE ..... has to do with the Hazardous Materials Act of 1979. Although, in the Great State of California, there's a Prop. 65 list which includes asbestos.... as a hazardous carcinogen.
--
Zyp

ransley wrote:

LOL; it not that expensive to remove or dispose of properly.
--
Zyp

Steve wrote:

It doesn't make any difference how you remove it as an uncertified person. The Fine is going to be damned impressive. Also the neighbors have grounds for a Helluva a lawsuit.

According to someone who is certified, an owner occupant can remove asbestos in their home. The asbestos has to be double bagged, labeled, and disposed of in a landfill where asbestos is allowed. You could get rid of it through a certified contractor.
Asbestos is dangerous when airborne. If kept wet it is safe. But there is a lot of asbestos on an old boiler.
-- bud--
bud-- wrote:

NO! I dropped my Cert, but I am still up on the laws.. That is federal and not state.
The asbestos has to be double bagged, labeled,

Yes!
You could get

All the Seals are asbestos.. Pretty damned hard to wet them until exposed. Asbestos does not normally migrate as dust when wet, but can still have particulates that you breath as vapor. That is why breathing apparatus is required. A hazmat suit keeps you from assimulating it in other ways.
Whatever the danger is or is not...The Feds will fine the Bejezuz out of you for not doing their way. Why are you Home Repair guys posting here on this subject? Go to an asbestos site run by the Government for straight from the horses mouth advice.

Don Ocean wrote:

The person I asked is certified as a supervisor for asbestos removal, is an engineer, and runs a business that has done environmental abatement and consulting in a number of areas including asbestos.
(I agree the regs are federal.) .

I don't know if I would want to remove an old boilers. On the other hand the people who removed my boiler took no precautions and there was a lot of dust the people you are railing about. (I knew less about asbestos then.)
I did remove some asbestos from pipes. I doubt any was airborne or did not wind up bagged. But if I was removing asbestos for a living I would want appropriate protection. My removal took too long for a business. .

The person I cited was not a "home repair guy". Trader has cited several government sites that agree with my source.
Maybe you could cite an "asbestos site run by the Government" that supports your opinion.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

If that is all he was.. He worked under the instructions of Government Contractors like me. The final word is those federal regs. You may have your expert contact me. I will gladly either give him directions or to have a Federal lawyer give him some expensive reeducation. The same expensive reeducation that you are striving for. End of Argument. Bullshit your pals in Home Repair, Not here! Watch your TV for Asbestoses Lawyers adds. They are putting together a massive lawsuit for a certain large company that has not followed the rules to the letter. We are talking hundreds of $billions.
and runs a business that has done environmental abatement

He will find the Accommodations in Denver Colorado's Federal court rather confining.

There is only one and you really should read it before you get to meet a massive Federal fine.. Or worse yet..Lead some poor bastard into that massive fine by your ignorant and irresponsible bullshit.