How to add indicator light to gas oven

We have a 6 month old GE gas oven in our home. It is the most basic model oven, with no light to indicate when the oven is on. It was purchased by the previous owner of the house.
I would like to add a little LED light that is on when the oven is on, to help prevent us from accidently leaving it on after we are done using it.
Can someone please give me the basic idea of how I would do this? I am comfortable with basic wiring, and I figure I would have to find a wire that is live when the oven is on. How do I go about doing that? Just open the back and start probing with a voltmeter? Is there an easier way?
thanks

Is there a wiring diagram on the back panel?
If you could look and see an LED, then couldn't you just look and see if the oven knob is turned?
--
Steve Barker

"Rocko" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

might rig up a temp detection circuit. most ovens have a minimum on temp.
so minimum on is say 175, so set temp detection to 150
any time its more than 150 light would flash. not a ideal solution, but a usable one
There is a chance that there is no such wire. The gas valve, thermostat, etc. may all be mechanical and there may be no wires at all. Is this just an oven, or a range (include cooktop)? Since it is only 6 months old, there is probably some service documentation (and a schematic, if applicable) in an envelope inside one of the panels that you would take off to service it. Look for it, and that might give you a clue.
Rocko wrote:

Just use an oven thermometer to see how hot it is.

There is none. It's a gas oven.

It's the most basic model. It even has a pilot light. Even a fancier model only has a clock and an oven light, and neither of these are related to whether the oven is on.
But gas ovens are better than electric ovens, so be happy anyhow.
Paint the line on the knobs brighter and wider, red, white, or yellow.
I repaint lines on lots of things to make them more visible. I usually use red nail polish (shiny and comes with its own brush).

Please explain how the electronic igniter works with not electricity and why it has wires connected to it. If it has power to it for a clock, it is required to have electronic ignition.

Does it have an ignitor? Does it have wires connected to it? He never says so. I think he expects to see wires when he moves the stove, but I don't think it has any.

Tht's the next model up that I was referring to.
Rocko wrote:

Did GE devise some other arrangement on the knobs that they don't face up when the gas is off?
Every gas oven/range I have seen is set up that way so all you need to do is quickly scan the panel.
Rocko wrote:

Check with FEMA. They may have some knobs left over.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20061015/ai_n16781882
Thanks for the informative replies, everyone!