How Tape Drywall Edges?

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner. What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????
Albert wrote:

It's a garage so people are less fussy. However, you could use J-channel (aka J-strip, J-molding, or J-bead) which comes in plastic or metal and wraps the edge to protect it from dings.
Chris

Works great. I had to do it along the top of the 2" block kneewall on my 3 season porch. Isn't even noticeable after painting. I used fine finishing nails to be sure it wouldn't shift.
Harry K

Not sure how you got that situation, but a more durable and better approach to taping would be to use a 1" or 2" wide piece of trim wood that was the same thickness as the drywall. You could even use 1/4 round if you match the drywall thickness.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever."

clean hard durable edge. Used commonly around fireplaces and exposed beams.
aem sends...

Very cool. Hadn't seen that before.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever."
Dan,
Which one is the easiest. J Beads or Fast Caps look likes it would work. Just snap it on the edge and drywall the front face with mud?
J mould may be difficult for a beginner. L mould in plastic or metal may be easier as it can be installed after the drywall is up and it lends itself to mudding in better.
I prefer the plastic trim like Trim Tex. Go here http://www.trim-tex.com/productsindex.htm and then click on Tearaway & L Beads.
Albert wrote:

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

when I used the J mold, there was no need at all for mudding on the face. I suppose tape and mud to "ramp up" to the j-mold might improve things a bit but it looks like gilding the lily to me.
Harry K