How tall should outdoor antenna be?

Plonk...

--

Reply to
dpb

do that if you want BUT its a real issue, all grounds in a home MUST BE UNIFIED, thats why the ground rods for main service, homes neutral, telephone NID and everything else must be tied together.

lets imagine they arent, a lightining strike on something might create a voltage potential between grounds.

I used to install satellite dishes its not a common trouble but could create a real hazard. heck even building lightning arrestors must be unified to everything

Reply to
hallerb

The bloody TV _TOWER_ is isolated, doofus...

--

Reply to
dpb

ahh its connected to the home by the coax, do you ground the coax properly?

besides which in a storm the antenna might come lose and hit a electrified line. I saw a chimney mount antenna blown across a roof

Reply to
hallerb

Not where it is, it won't. Again, it is NOT ON THE HOUSE, got it?

The coax an the antenna are electrically isolated, else the antenna isn't an antenna, it's a ground pole.

Give it up, you were wrong to start with and you're just getting more and more off base.

Next you'll be telling me it's K&T wiring... :(

Reply to
dpb

you are WRONG, the COAX ground is also a antenna GROUND.

GO READ THE NEC ABOUT PROPER GROUNDING OF ANTENNAS, SATELLITE DISHES ETC!!!!!!!!!!

all grounds must be unified

Reply to
hallerb

the coax must be grounded right where it enters the building, and beyond that coax outer braid is grounded to tv chassis this is done because outer braid grounding stops interference from being picked up on inner conductor.

now in a storm or any time a ground potential difference can exist, where someone touching a tv can get a nasty shock.

this is why all grounds must be unified.

please would a electrician cite the NEC for this incompetent.

Reply to
hallerb

I have not said one thing about the stinkin' coax except that there is a lightning arrestor installed. Everything else is your made up "what can I do to show I'm so smart and this is unsafe?" as is your typical post.

You started off on the BS about $2000 for a OTA antenna and not used because "aren't cost-effective". I simply pointed out that is not so.

Everything past that from your side is simply something you've made up.

--

Reply to
dpb

"I had a friend install"

See? Not only correct but shorter as well. ;)

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Taller than a worm.

Reply to
Czlowiek

If it is emitting significant RF energy near the frequencies you want your antenna to work on, you may need to install a notch filter on the worm.

Reply to
Harry