How tall should outdoor antenna be?

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

"I had a friend install"
See? Not only correct but shorter as well. ;)
Taller than a worm.

If it is emitting significant RF energy near the frequencies you want your antenna to work on, you may need to install a notch filter on the worm.

And/or their satellite provider doesn't offer their locals in Hi-Def -- such as DISH network for Tucson. By the time they *do* offer them, it will be too late. My inexpensive directional roof-top antenna pulls them all in crystal clear -- including all of the subchannels. BTW, my antenna is less than 3 feet above the roof.
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 06:50:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

My Grandfather's house had an antenna on a mast, attached to the house. It was not embedded into the ground or cement. The mast was, as you say about two inches in diameter. It was galvanized pipe that coupled together (insert one into the other) in lengths of about 10 feet or so.
I was the rotator. He would send me out to turn the pole for the best reception and yell "okay" at me.
Black and White console TV. Ed Sullivan Show was on, Wayne Newton was about 16 years old and the Beatles visited Ed Sullivan.
I spent more than a few days with him; watching Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and the Yankees.... late fifties. :-))
-- Oren
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:27:43 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

The higher it is, the better your tv reception, but the greater chance of getting hit by lightening. It MUST be at least 4 feet above the roof. More if the roof is metal. Put a tripod on the roof with at least a 5 ft. pole.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Hmm, my roof is metal. Why does it needs to be higher with metal roof? How high does it need to be?
Thanks.
Raymond
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:15:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@none.com

I think 1/2 to one wavelengths away would do the trick. Figure the width of the antenna as a spacing from antenna to roof.
there is NO advatage to putting a satellite dish higher, it has no effect on reception unless you dont have line of site at a lower elevation.
my dish lives lag bolted to my deck, which makes service and snow removal very easy.
you willn find it near impossible to aim a satellite dish on a pole and the wind turns the dish into a wing causing movement which will effect reception.
satellite tv dishes look at a fixed satellite at about 22,300 miles, a few feet means nothing.
if your looking at satellite tv get a DVR digital video recorder it will change how you look at tv forever

You can get a DVR regardless of whether you have sat, cable, or OTA, which is what the OP apparently uses. And I agree, it;'s highly recommended and does totally change the way you use your TV. I've had a Tivo for a long time now and love it.
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:51:08 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Yes. The wavelength at satellite frequencies is just an inch or so. The disk isn't an antenna but a reflector. The antenna itself is located at the focal point and will already be far enough from things.

Specifically 22,300 miles directly above the equator. Considering the Earth's rotation and axial tilt, this is the only location where a satellite can stay in one place relative to the ground without constant thrust.

Yes, DVRs do make a lot of difference. Once you use one, it'll be hard to live without it. I generally find ReplayTV DVRs to be the best, but there are a couple of problems:
1. They're not being made anymore so you'd have to get a used one. 3. They don't support HD.

Mark Lloyd