How repair portico columns?

Hi,

We have a portico covering the front porch of our house, with two columns, and the base of one of them is beginning to deteriorate. I was wondering how this can be repaired?

I have the impression that there's a post inside, and that when the portico was originally built, they slid something like a hollow column to surround the actual support post.

Is there any way to replace the exterior column without having to disassemble/remove the top part of the portico itself? Also, what kind of company would we look for to do something like this?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
ohaya

A photo would help but first you need to see if the column is cosmetic by drilling ot cutting . If cosmetic a column could be cut in 2 and refit together , get bids and ideas It is to dark out tonight for me to see from here.

Reply to
m Ransley

If the column itself is deteriorated, you will probably have to replace it. We did it using structural columns from this place:

Enter architectural products and look for columns. They have all sorts, > Hi,

Reply to
William Brown

William,

Thanks for the information.

Can you tell me how did you jack up the roof?

Thanks, Jim

William Brown wrote:

Reply to
ohaya

I had some 2x4s laying around, so I nailed a couple together to make three 4x4s. Two I cut so they would be long enough to hold up the roof when it was jacked up. The other I cut so it fit between a bottle jack I had in the garage and the roof. With the bottle jack and the shorter

4x4 I raised the roof (!) and slid > William,
Reply to
William Brown