How remove mineral deposits from showerhead?

I considered using a small amount of Limeaway to get rid of mineral deposits that are clogging some of the water-flow holes in our showerhead, but when I saw that it contains acid, I figured I'd try something else.
Someone suggested Tang of all things, but I soaked the head in that overnight and it did nothing.
Any ideas? If I do use Limeaway, can I soak the head in something (vinegar?) to remove any acid residue?
BTW, the head is on one of those flexible supply lines, so it's easy to let it soak in a pan of liquid.
-Al
Just use the Limeaway but use it as directed and don't dilute it more than instructed. BTW Vinegar is an acid, you could just use the vinegar and soak it in that.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:07:31 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
: Just use the Limeaway but use it as directed and don't dilute it more :than instructed. BTW Vinegar is an acid, you could just use the vinegar and :soak it in that.
I wouldn't worry about residue from that stuff. I'm sure it will simply wash off. I'm fortunate in that my water isn't hard. What I get is tiny rocks like grains of sand and periodically I have to disassemble my shower head and wash them out to restore full flow capacity.

That's probably hard water scale. If so you need a water softener.
Gary Quality Water Associates

Fill a sturdy plastic sandwich bag half full of vinegar. Carefully lift it onto the showerhead, fasten with a rubberband, and let it soak overnight. Acid products should dissolve the mineral deposits, and vinegar is an acid.
Al Cunniff wrote:

I soak mine in vinegar, otherwise known as acetic acid.
Also, I get crusty deposits around the faucet base. Here, I roll a paper towel strip, wet it with vinegar, and press it around the faucet base. The next day, the deposits are gone, at least for another couple months. Much safer than the chemicals, especially if there are children in the house.
Hi, Or remove the head and soak it in a bowl of CLR. Watched CLR commercial? Tony
Phisherman wrote:

Last time I tried that, it didn't work at all. I ended up throwing the shower head away and getting another one.

soak your head in CLR.

Yeah, but what about the showerhead?
Bruno wrote:

Hi, He may go bald, LOL. Tony

Tang has acetic acid as does vinegar, dissolves some mineral buildup.

A product called CLR (calcium, lime, rust) worked well for me, just as advertised on TV. Of course, your mileage may vary. Most major supermarkets would carry it in the cleaning liquids aisle.
Bob M.