How quickly does a rat die in a typical rat trap

Page 2 of 2
On 6/2/2012 12:41 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

where else would you feed the cats? They live outdoors. duh.
--
Steve Barker
Get a Rat Zapper. I got mine on Ebay. Put a couple of pieces of dry dog food in it and when they enter zap they are dead. I have only used them on mice but have gotten several two for ones... They claim the big one also works for rats. Worth every penny. Quick and easy.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:02:33 -0400, Nil

2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4 d's ought to kill a few rats.
there is a capacitor in there someplace.
Jim

And an inductor (or two), I'm sure.
And, transformer, maybe?
2 c's will kill about a dozen mice was my experience with one many years ago-- Victor says their 4aa model will kill 100 mice per set-- 4 d's ought to kill a few rats.
there is a capacitor in there someplace.
Jim
alt.home.repair:

Huh! I don't think of 4 D-cells in a flashlight being deadly like that.
I wish the Rat Zapper people made a larger version I could use on squirrels.

An alkaline D-cell is, what, 15Ah? Four of them (at 1.5V) is That's about 90Wh, not an inconsequential amount of power. Boost the voltage a bit and, trust me, it'll light you up.

Squirrels and rats are about the same size...
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 20:59:42 -0400, Nil

I think the rat zapper would kill squirrels just fine. Probably not an approved method for a critter who enjoys protection in most [all?] states, so the company can't advertise it.
Except for the fluffy tail, and the ability to climb trees to rob bird nests I don't see much difference.
Jim
I think Tasers use one nine volt, and have enough power to stun a human.

Do 4 D-cell batteries really generate enough zap to kill a rat?!?
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Really?! I had no idea. I never really thought about it, but I guess I figured they had a more powerful rechargeable batter. Either that, or when I watch "Cops", that there was a hidden wire from the taser to an off-camera Frankenstein's-lab-like lightning catcher.
We get these critters at work... the traps usually take care of them within 30 seconds. The odd time you'll find a trap that's moved a foot from where it was set, the poor thing tried to haul off with the trap. No glue traps, you're then faced with how to dispose of a pest that's still alive...
Michael Lalonde Sudbury, Ontario Jumler catering
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

seconds. The odd time you'll find a trap that's moved a foot from where it was set, the poor thing tried to haul off with the trap. No glue traps, you're then faced with how to dispose of a pest that's still alive...

I dunno about rats, but I snapped this photo of our long gone but fondly remembered cat, Darwin.
I'd set a Victor mouse trap to catch a mouse that Darwin didn't seem interested in, but when the mousetrap did its thing, Darwin dragged it and it's bounty into another room and was playing with it under a table. See:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18//jeff/catmouse1.jpg
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia