How powerful is my router?

I have an old router that is just about impossible to adjust in my router table.
I bought a "new" one at a garage sale that ought to work a lot better in the table.
The old one says 1hp, 5.0a. With no load, it actually measures 2.0a. The new one says 6.5a. With no load, it actually measures 3.4a.
So, the new one claims to be 30% more powerful than the old one, but actually uses 70% more power.
How much more powerful do you think it really is? How do other routers compare to their claimed amps?
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:49:21 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
How does it rout wood?
Barry
in message wrote:

Haven't tried it yet. It needs a 3/4" wrench, but didn't have it, and I don't have one. Getting an adjustable wrench in there isn't practical.
I believe they make 1 1/2 hp routers and possibly 2hp now. If you need more power you'll have to go to a shaper. Only time you get close to the rated amperes is when you almost stall the tool.
If you look at woodworking catalogs I believe you'll see ads for 3-1/2HP with variable speed and soft start.
On 22 Oct 2003 22:18:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randd01) wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:49:21 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

I have a 1.5 HP and a 3.25 HP router. Both run at around 20,000 rpm, although the more powerful one is variable speed. Taking two passes will give a better and cleaner profile, no matter which one I use. You can move the wood at a slower pace with the less powerful router, but some hardwoods like cherry tend to burn. I like the less powerful router better for hand-held work, and the more powerful for the router table.