How paranoid about light leaks from furnace UV filter?

I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good things here and elsewhere.

I taped up the cold air return and Spaceguard filter with foil tape before installing the UV filter. I saw a couple of leaks I missed when I first fired it up. So I unplugged the filter and taped up the spots I missed. But there are still a couple of indirect leaks (glow) around the humidifier and the hatch for the Spaceguard filter. I plan to tape around the humidifier, but I really can't tape up the door for the Spaceguard filter. Since the furnace is in an enclosed space which keeps out man and beast, how worried should I be about these minor leaks. Do I need to use a regular bulb (non UV) to ferret out any small leaks?

Also I plan to write a few warnings here and there so the HVAC guy doesn't blind himself come the annual cleaning. But I gather this is not a huge deal or they would provide a few labels with this thing?

Reply to
Bill Stock

You could get some poster paint and make a detector easily enough. Some laundry detergents will also glow under UV (I think maybe Whisk is one).

Reply to
CJT

HUH!? Who cares if it leaks?

Reply to
Steve Barker

The title of this is "how paranoid about light leaks...." and the answer is "very paranoid".

Reply to
Bob M.

I sit directly under one of those lights at the local titty bar every night for about 5 hours. The only problem I have is that the tops of my hands are a beautiful tan while the rest of me is not.

Reply to
deke

Depends on what wavelength and intensity the lamp is running at.

Almost always the manufacturer (presuming it's not a cheap overseas import, but even then one would expect it to comply with US FDA regulations regarding emission levels if it's being imported for sale in the US), state safety precautions one should take when servicing the lamps (or for that matter normal day to day operation).

I think you have a legitimate concern, but my involvement is with the type of UV equipment (and lasers) that would most definitely be harmful to human flesh/retinas.

Contact the manufacturer and find out what they have to say on the topic.

A sidenote, UV lamps used for "tanning" emit a different wavelength than ones used for cancelling microbial organisms. Even then, most tan booths require the victim to wear safety goggles that filter out the otherwise harmful spectrum slice that would fry their retinas/corneas.

keep this in mind when working near ANY UV lamp !

(unrelated, i once witnessed a fellow worker put his hand into the path of an invisible wavelength high power laser beam - it punched a hole clean through his hand - cauterizing the flesh in the process. he didn't feel any pain at the time of the mishap - but about a minute later - look out ! the guy was in agony).

what you can't see/feel - CAN hurt you !

Reply to
Kenny

Unless you are spending a lot of time in the same room and close to that furnace, there is nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan