how on earth do I remove this screwless glass ceiling light dome?

@Eric:

*EPIC FAIL*

Is there some reason why you did not report the burnt out lamp to the facilities department at your college/university when the lamp ceased functioning ?

Even if you somehow figure out how to open that fixture, you will not have a lamp available to you which will fit the base you will find inside of it -- that fixture will have some sort of keyed/pinned commercial grade CFL inside of it, not a standard lamp socket...

If some fine were to be imposed on you it is justified, you should have reported the non-functional light when it stopped working so it could be repaired in a timely manner rather than as a rush job during the holiday break so it is ready for the next occupant of that dorm room...

The college can not expect nor demand that you supply special light bulbs for its installed fixtures which are not your property... If the light fixture is undamaged you can not be legally charged because the lamp is burnt out, that is normal wear and tear and lamps do not last forever...

Definitely leave it alone and do not try to open it/tamper with it in any way, just report it to the person who does your check out that it recently stopped working but you were so busy packing to leave that making a maintenance request just slipped your mind...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I don't know, it's never been done.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm with the group thats says: Do you know for an absolute fact, not that Skunky Beaumont down the hall told you, that you will be charged for a blown out light bulb that can't be accessed without a ladder, knowledge of how to open it and possibly a special lamp?

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

replying to eric, Poi20 wrote: I did look at the photo, and nothing comes to mind. Only coarse threads, and turn the white ring counter clockwise.

Reply to
Poi20

Push the plastic lens up and deliberatly deform it slightly so it is off ce nter and curled up at the two sides. You will probablyu be pushing against a spring of some type. Eventually you should be able to push one end up e nough so that the opposite end can be pulled down below the rim. I have wh at appears to be the identical light and it just requires a slow steady han d.

Reply to
hrhofmann

replying to Stormin Mormon, Gramaw wrote: The only reply here to engage in name-calling, and it's from someone who signs with "Learn more about Jesus." Wow. Simply astonishing (but sadly, not a rarity)

Reply to
Gramaw

Oren posted for all of us...

Sorry, the hook is set in Stumps cheek. The reel is broken because the knots in the string got caught in his undies.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to eric, Nebrcyclist wrote: Here an idea to remove the most stubborn glass globe. Go to Harbour Freight and get a suction cup mounted shower handle. Wet the suction cup and attach one end to the globe. The handle allows you to pull down slightly and twist at the same time. Hey it worked for me after trying every technique online. Good luck

Reply to
Nebrcyclist

Nebraska cyclist must have wrapped his lips around the exhaust of his tricycle/Vespa/motorcycle or he would have seen he's replying to a FIVE YEAR OLD thread.

Reading comprehension must not be high on the list of requirements at HomeMoaners.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I met a screwless woman once. She was not hard to remove, I just told her to leave and she did.

Reply to
Paintedcow

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, SFwriter wrote: And does it not occur to you, _madam-with-the-amazingly-highly-charged-testosterone-like-response,_ that this difficulty may have arisen again, and again, and that this thread will be sought and found repeatedly? I suppose, from your singular point of view, all problems occur only *once*, for only *one * person, and never need to be addressed *ever* again. Accusing someone of being unobservant or dull-witted only serves to emphasise how infrequently you think about other people around you and how we can */all experience these difficulties for the very first time./*

Irrespective of your *actual* age, be it 90 or 19, you personify all the bad things usually directed at millennials such as amazing self-absorption, and a stunning inability to understand that your opinion isn't the only, or even most important one. Basically what I'm saying is that if you don't have something

*positive * to contribute, then STFU.
Reply to
SFwriter

replying to Mr. Austerity, Rick wrote: I made "handles" using duck tape and managed to twist it out.

Reply to
Rick