How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

I have a condo and it has the original smoke detectors, FireX. Probably abo ut 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have n ot received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to t he other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

Usually, the max recommended life is 10 years. Here's a link that says that in the middle of Page 2 of the document.

If you are in a condo, you may want to check with the condo association to find out if your smoke alarms are interconnected with alarms in other units in the building or an outside alarm if they go off.

You may be able to switch them with detectors that also have a battery backup -- not sure.

Reply to
TomR

I don't think they are interconnected with other units, I have tested years before the and the neighbors have never said anything about it. I know that we don't have any type of notification system with the authorities or a blinker on the outside of the unit.

I was just inquiring about the life of the sensor and/or unit. They are the original equipment.

Reply to
sidwelle

tHAT's what they say.

You could light a fire under one of them and see if the alarm goes off. You wouldn't need a big fire, even a wooden match would do I think even a wooden match that had been extinguished would make enough smoke.

The problem is that you woudn't know if it was as sensitive as it should be. I guess you should have done this when you first moved in, so you'd have a standard to compare with.

Reply to
micky

Should be replaced every 8 to 10 years.

Getting direct replacements for your line powered interconnected units may not be as simple as adding battery operated independent units.

Reply to
clare

I'd say if they work they should be OK. It's carbon monoxide detectors that have expiration dates.

Reply to
Frank

I think if he unplugs one unit and brings it to a Home Depot or Lowes or ACE Hardware etc., they will have compatible units that can be used for replacements -- and probably they will be hardwired units with a battery backup in case of power failure. That's what I did with a 110-volt AC hardwired interconnected alarm system that I have.

Reply to
TomR

Should they be replaced ?

Recommendations !?

Thanks

{{

Given the cost we replace and trash (no gifting) @ 5 years.

Reply to
NotMe

Went back to the condo and pushed the test button, Nothing.

Went to Menards and bought 4 new Kidde replacements.

I will try to get them in this weekend. After replacement I will test and check with the neighbors to see if there units alert and post a follow up.

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

smoke detectors, FireX. Probably about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they have not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, should they be ?

I've heard that ten years is about the age to replace.

Reccomend to contact the condo association.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ionization smoke detetors use a radioactive isotope that has a half life. They are good for about ten years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can ask the fire department, when they arrive.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are the new units also wired to each other? I have to replace mine but I've not checked the plugs on the interconnection yet.

I've not started shopping yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was recently injected iwth something whose half-life for gamma emission is 6.0058 hours. I'm not good for much. .

Reply to
micky

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 6:22:11 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote :

about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they ha ve not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire to the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, sho uld they be ?

I don't see why it would be any problem getting replacements for AC interconnected ones. Standard install is normal AC wiring with one additional wire that runs between units. Independent ones don't provide the same safety. If you have a large house, are a sound sleeper, one going off in the basement at the far end of the house may not be enough to wake you up in the second floor bedroom, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Unfortunately, I think code requires that they be battery backed up now. I'd rather just have the AC ones and not have to deal with screwing around every year with changing batteries. Yeah, the battery backup provides a little extra safety, but not worth it to me.

Another curious thing I don't understand. The AC plus battery back up ones I've had experience with, the batteries have to be replaced about once a year, they start beeping. What's up with that? You would think AC would power the thing, with the battery only being called on when the AC goes out. But if that were the case, then the batteries should last a few years. Any idea what's up with that? Any experience?

Reply to
trader_4

Good point but I never saw an expiration date on my very old detectors and my wife was constantly testing them by not venting the oven enough when broiling.

We replaced all of them last year when she was cooking, an alarm went off and drove us nuts trying to figure where when it turned out to be the CO detector telling us it was dying.

We replaced with more expensive but long battery life detectors maybe good for 10 years before sending at annoying warnings.

Reply to
Frank

I bought a new smoke detector, and put the old one on a high shelf. Couple months later, the detector chirped. Took me a long time to find the old one (out of sight, battery going weak) as I'd forgot I put it on the shelf.

My Monoxide detector takes batteries three times a year, the two AA cells go dead rapidly. The smokes take 9 volt cell, I try to remember to replace every time I change the clocks. Tempted to get the new lithium cells, good for several years.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not an answer to your question, but a comment on something I saw about smoke detectors. Be sure you have loud ones in the children's rooms. On TV I saw somebody do a test with some children and smoke detectors. They set up a low light camera in the children's room and then set off a smoke detector in the hall outside. The children never woke up. They moved the detector into the room and it took several minutes for 2 of the children to wake up and the third never did. So you want REALLY LOUD smoke detectors in the children's room.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

It would be nice to have them on separate circuits, but not a code requirement.

Yes, they *must* be replaced @ 10 years old per NFPA code. Monitored detectors are exempt because they get inspected at least annually and usually have replaceable sensing chambers. Stand-alone detectors *must* be replaced every 10 years.

You'll see two types for sale, photoelectric and ionization. Get photoelectric types. They will detect smoldering fires faster and reduce false alarms.

Replace them with AC/DC type smokes (a backup battery) or just DC ones. Also get ones with an "interlock" feature, when one trips - they all sound. Now is a good time to bring it up to current code.

Place one outside of each sleeping area, for instance if there are 3 bedrooms upstairs and you can place one in the hall 15' (max range from corners & walls) from one side of the hall and no more than 15' from the other wall, one in the middle of the hall will suffice (the hall is 30' long or less). If the hall is longer, place one no less than 15' from one wall - then go up to 30' to the next one, etc.. For instance if the hall is 40' long place you need two detectors, placed 10' off each wall for uniform coverage.

If there is a master bedroom on the 1st floor, one needs to be placed outside of the MBR door. If there are two bedrooms downstairs on each side of the condo and they are more than 30' apart you need one outside EACH bedroom - else place one in between the two bedrooms if the doors are within 15' of each other.

Also, a detector must be inside of each and every bedroom. Usually placed 8 inches away from the corner of the wall and ceiling above the door. NEVER place them IN the corners, as smoke does not always accumulate there. The detector's instruction manual will show you proper placement, with a drawing.

I strongly recommend the interlock feature, even though this is not mandated in all jurisdictions. This will assure everyone sleeping will wake up if a fire happens at night. Also, have a plan in case of a detection - make sure kids know to get outside ASAP and have a pre-designated meeting area outdoors.

Never put smoke detectors in kitchens, use a RoR (Rate of Rise) heat detector instead. Same goes for attic spaces and garages (near gas H2O heaters, furnaces).

Now is a good time to install CO detector(s) as well. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. They usually mount lower than smoke detectors, carbon monoxide gas is neutrally buoyant in air.

Even better, if you have a monitored security system - consider letting the alarm company do the work and use monitored detectors. This will save property (the monitoring company calls the fire dept. if no one is home to hear the alarms) and lower insurance costs.

YW, and thanks for asking. If you have questions, please call the non-emergency number for the local fire dept. and ask for advice. Most will be happy to send someone out to help you plan the system. They would rather come now rather than later taking you or a family member out in a body bag.

Reply to
G. Morgan