How often should an interior fuel oil tank be cleaned out?

Page 2 of 2
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Certain local oil companies will no longer fill inside tanks unless you have proof of age or a certificate from an inspector. They pay giant premiums for spillage insurance and their insurers give them a discount for doing this.

But after one wall fails, eventually the other wall will too. So in the long run, how is this better than single wall?
mm wrote:

Because it seems the concept of having a tank forever will disappear.
mm wrote:

It's better because there is an alarm / indicator of some sort monitoring the space between the tank walls. Inner wall fails, alarm goes off and the tank is drained and replaced before the outer wall can fail.
mm wrote:

Coffee didn't kick in yet. A double wall is valuable because you can periodically sample inside the second wall or install a alarm that will sound if it detects something.

Ah. Ok. Thanks.
My parents sold their 50 year old house 4 years ago. Original tank and had never been cleaned.

I'm with you there Art - I'm pretty sure that I have oil tanks in my rental houses that are 75+ years old. When we have removed them, there is a fair amount of sludge in the bottom, but we have never had a serious issue due to dirt in a tank. These are all in basements, not buried.
JK
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:15:00 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I only have my own case as an example. House is 28 years old. I've never done any maintenance to my tank, on legs in my basment. When I started reading this list, someone brought it up, so I looked at the bottom of the tank and afaict it loooked the same as 24 years ago.
Because I'm screwed up, and not always on auto delivery, I've run out of oil at least 4 times (once which I was on auto iirc) and I guess since the fuel line has no filter, every time I've run out, I've had to prime the pump again, and I think every or almost every time, I've had to replace the nozzle (which has a hole so small I can't barely see the opening and can't see the hole) But most people replace the nozzle every year anyhow, isn't that right. I found a place that will sell me nozzles, for times I run out of oil.