How often does the drip pan in a refrigerator fill, and how full does it get?

I had posted yesterday because I'd used some hot water to unblock the freezer drain hose in my top freezer refrigerator.

For a day or so, I was constantly emptying the drip pan under the refrigerator, but it's been dry now for almost 24 hours. Is this normal?

How often does water go into the pan, and how much water is usually there?

I've had the same refrigerator for more than 12 years and the only time I pay attention to the drip pan is when the drain hose is having a problem.

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Probably depends on; How often you open the fridge. How damp (humid) is the air in the house that enters fridge when door is open. How often or how much does the fridge run, depends on ambient temp. around frig. How often and how long does the frig. go through its defrost cycle. Often the water from defrosting is evaporated away outside the frig. by some of the heat from either and/or, the motor or the heat dissipating coils. Depending type of fridge coils are either concealed or exposed. Too many variables to really estimate? In humid weather I can actually hear defrost draining from frig. into a little tray. During the heating season when house is dryer, one rarely can hear it. It yours doesn't spill and frig. works OK don't worry. i.e. if it's not broken don't fix it. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

That will vary depending on the design of the defrost timer system in your model. You can read about the different types at the following link:

How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

You also should keep in mind that the condensate water evaporates there so depending on when you look, being dry may be normal. The real test is to see if ice is forming in the drain trough beneath the evaporator (cooling) coil or not.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

the only water you gonna have to take out of the pan is the water you put into the ref. when cleaning it up.. on our Whirlpool refrigerators i bought one in 1972 and it lasted and is still working fine in the garage and never had the pan pulled out to empty water other than when i flushed out the drip tube with hot water to get to blockages....or icebuildups i the freezer part.... and the new side by side, had for 2 yrs. now and never nad to go to the drip pan for anything to remove water... the heat and air movement of the condenser fan helps with the water evaporating it...

Reply to
jim