How often?

Ok, here's a smelly subject.

How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use?

With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month for a household of 3. I say flush just after every 2 or 3 uses. Can a toilet really get that smelly if say 2 or 3 people take a dump then flush?

What's your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Reply to
Cuda guy

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

But sometimes it just gets too smelly even without being brown.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Cuda guy wrote the following:

Er..ah... I have no opinion on flushing. I don't pay for sewage on a regular basis. I do pay for the electricity for the well pump to refill the water holding tank after flushing the toilet, and about every 4 to 6 years, a septic tank cleaning that costs around $400. My Summer electric bill averages around $200 per month, including the lighting, and 3 fridges, a chest freezer, central air, an inground pool, dishwasher and clothes washers, driers, cable tv, internet, and various lights and ceiling fans that no one seems to know how to turn off. I'm thinking I should just take a shit in the garbage pail and let them take it away once a week for $34.20 a month. Save the well pump electricity cost and the septic tank cleaning service fees.

:-)

Reply to
willshak

"willshak" wrote

Too expensive. Compost pile.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think shower takes way more water that a toilet does, so it may be a moot point unless you would also consider skipping every other shower :) But you can install a dual-flush toilet. That should save some water. Not sure about economics of it though - looks like you need to save a lot of water to justify a new $300 toilet.

If only upgrade to dual-flush were possible but I don't think such option exists.

Regarding the cost of water though: mine is also close to $100/month, paid once in a quarter (half is water, then they just add the same amount for sewer) but I suspect the municipal water co does not actually read those meters: quarter after quarter they show the exact same amount of water. I suspect they were never able to make that wireless reader system work and they are just guessing it every time. If that's the case, then no matter what I do to save some water, I'm probably going to end up paying the same.

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Yes, of course. If you can afford a computer and the interbutts, you can afford to flush your damn toilet.

Freak.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

With new toilets? Everytime you use it.

For $98 at HomeDepot you can buy a 1.1/1.6gal/flush toliet.

No excuses.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

DA wrote the following:

I tried to educate my family on the benefits of taking a "Navy" shower. Wet down, then shut off the water. Soap down and scrub with a wash cloth or sponge, then turn on the water to rinse off. They wouldn't buy it.

Reply to
willshak

Maybe he is hijacking a signal and using a 386?

Reply to
Matt

The "dual-flush" thingy is part of the flapper. They can be had for a few bucks.

Ours runs $50 to $200 a month (the difference being irrigation), billed every month. The water is really half that, and like yours, they double it for the sewer charges. They have some deal for irrigation, but they charge a couple of grand for an additional meter and installation.

Reply to
krw

Our city offers raincatcher barrels that you can connect to the drain on the roof gutters complete with a tap on the bottom. Ironically water is "free" here, ie: not metered

Reply to
Matt

That's the "Zorro" model where a robotic arm extends from the toilet holding a fencing foil and duels you for the right to flush the toilet. "En Garde!" There's also the Aaron Burr model, which takes a shot at you when you attempt to flush.

Oh, you meant "dual" flush. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Doesn't matter that much. Shower and appliances are your big water costs.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That's what I do. I don't wait all day if it is yellow, but it works for an hour or 2. And if you have a family it usually won't take that long.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Ah, yes

In days of old, when knights were bold, Before toilets were invented, They dumped their load beside the road, And went their way contented.

Reply to
HeyBub

"willshak" wrote

Nor would I, but I'm in and out fairly quick. When my daughter was home, I'd shut the hot water off after a time to get here out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That will only run on XP, AFAIK. And a 386 won't cut it for XP. :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

I can take a shower in 5 minutes. That includes washing my body, shaving my pits and legs, and washing and conditioning waist-length hair. DH, on the other hand, shaves in the sink prior to his shower and he's still in there for nearly 15 minutes. Yes, his hair is longer than mine, but not by much.

[snip]

Dual flush is OK, but DUEL flush? What does it do, fight the sink to the death?

Reply to
Harry A

Indeed! Who blames them? I have nice, clean, non-smelly women friends who don't shower every day, but when they do, it's a longer process, especially when washing hair is involved. Showers are one of the great things in life!

During a really bad drought in California some years ago, people actually put buckets in the shower to catch water for other uses.

A recent "dear abby" type advice column featured a nut-case (IMHO) asking whether she should marry the guy she's engaged to. Says he's clean, doesn't smell, etc.etc.; has all the qualities she values, BUT HE DOESN'T SHOWER EVERY DAY, and she was taught that ONE MUST SHOWER EVERY DAY!

Boy, I hope that wedding never took place. She comes across as a narrow-minded, unthinking person.

Reply to
Higgs Boson