How much water do high-efficiency furnaces need to drain?

On a typical winter day for those living in cold climates, how much water (condensation) is produced by a high-efficiency furnace per day? I've heard ranges from barely anything to 5 gallons per day.

And would this amount to more or less than what is produced by a central air conditioner?

Thanks.

Reply to
jonny_rizzo

With out humidity numbers anything would be a wild ass guess.

Reply to
SQLit

You might figure about 5% of the fuel's heating value for oil, ie

0.05x140KBtu/1000 = 7 pounds per gallon, eg 42 lb/day of water, if you burn 6 gal/day of oil, and about twice that for natural gas.

Depends on the humidity and house air leakage rate. If wi = 0.00787 (80 F at 50% RH) inside and wa = 0.0130 (Phila in July) and a 2400 ft^2 house leaks 224 cfm (a 0.7 ACH average), the AC needs to remove at least

24hx60x224x0.075(wa-wi) = 124 pounds of water per day.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

This from personal recollections. I would guess about a quart per day. Ours discharged over the driveway and I never saw a ice stalagmite over a foot tall after several below freezing days in a row.

The AC output will vary greatly with humidity but something around 5 gallons per day would be realistic here and now.:)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks for the input. Have you noticed any discoloration of your driveway? I've read that the water run-off from condensation of a gas furnace is acidic, with a pH roughly the same as orange juice.

Reply to
jonny_rizzo

I've never measured it, but one customer with a 5 ton system says he gets about a gallon per hour of run time for his system. This is in 'normal' weather, nit high humidity conditions....

Reply to
HeatMan

We sold that house about 10 years ago. During the 8 or so years that I saw it drip there I did not see any. It was a blacktop drive. YMMV on concrete because of the chemistry involved.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt