How much to remove heating oil?

Page 1 of 2
Someone on the People's Court said that the oil company charged 500 dollars to fill up her oil tank, and t hen 538 dollars to remove the oil (because she converted to gas).. The company wants both amounts and filed a mechanics lien for 1038.
How could this be? They said they contracted the removal out, so I guess they and the second company are both taking a profit, but deliveing requires providing a product, and removing gives them a product that they can resell.
I would gues sthe wholesale price of the oil was 350, the cost of delivery was 50 and the profit was 100.
During removal the cost of the oil is maybe negative 250, the cost of removal is50 or 100 and the profit should be the same 100. So she should get at least 50 or 100 dollars back, but iirrc people get a lot more than that for selling their oil.
(FWIW She also said she never asked for an oil delivery, waiting until the boiler cleaning/checkup was complete, since last year they told her the boilder was rusting.)
On 11/22/2011 7:18 AM, micky wrote:

The company I used to work for would not resell oil we had recovered from a customers tank. The problem is that you can never tell if someone has dumped something else in their fuel oil tank.
We always donated recovered fuel to the local fire department for fire training.
On 11/22/2011 8:35 AM, J R Ewing wrote:

Another common one is that they will only recover and deliver it to another location you designate (so you sell it to a friend or relative and have them transport it for you).

Simple. The company is free to charge whatever they feel is a fair price. The homeowner is free to accept that price or find someone else to do the job. If the homeowner gave the go ahead on the removal job either knowing the price or not caring about the price, then $538 it is.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 06:23:14 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I like it when someone else types all the words I was thinking.
Jim [whose oil company emptied my tank for free a few years ago so I could put in a new tank--- and credited my account with the retail price of the fuel. They said it was a 'customer service'.]
removal may include the cost of tank removal, environmental issues, or just removal of input line so no one can accidently fill the tank or basement:( again
There is NO LAW that outlaws top-posting. Besides, I like top-posting as my style, as I think it makes more sense.
Others have the right to NOT top-post. We don't need Al Gore (or others) to tell us that we must do as THEY prefer.
James
On 11/23/2011 10:01 AM, James wrote:

Law, no, just a strong suggestion from the organizers/originators...
3.1 User Guidelines
3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews
... - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
One would do well to heed the advice therein.
Oh gosh, here comes Al Gore, to tell us how to type our messages !!!
On 11/23/2011 1:57 PM, James wrote:

Far, far, more relevant than Algor is the RFC...
Think of it as why should you be more important than the community with whom you've chosen to interact?
On 11/23/2011 3:19 PM, dpb wrote:

Exactly, it is just like being on a busy sidewalk and you decide to oppose the traffic flow just to annoy everyone.
On 11/23/2011 2:57 PM, James wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?
You didn't include a any relevant information from whatever you are replying to. Try to learn a little about how usenet works for your and everyone's sake. See how I quoted your statement, that is so people know what I'm talking about.
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:02:00 -0500, Tony Miklos

And is what the quoted oinstructions say is suggested.
Summarize the post you are responding to, or include the pertinent part of the post - then respond.
remove all of the filler pipe completely, and repair wall holes
On 11/23/2011 2:57 PM, James wrote:

Do you need anyone to tell you how to use common courtesy? Say you are on a crowded sidewalk. Pedestrian traffic typically follows the customary method for driving on the road. So if you are in the US the stream of traffic will be to the right.
So if things were going well and pedestrian traffic was flowing as I described you could stay to the left and confront everyone or follow the others simply out of courtesy and common sense.
micky wrote:

Because the person that needed to have the oil removed didn't put an ad on kijiji or craigs list offering free heating oil for anyone with the right equipment to come and take it away.

If the oil was delivered in error, it was their responsibility to remove it at no charge.
The problem is, these shows are edited and you don't always see all the underlying parts that may be important.

I agree that that can be a big problem.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:16:44 -0500, "Robert Green"

I didnt think today's was a rerun, but it might have been. Yes, she won, and that was the reason. The judge kept making a point of it, but I thought it was a silly point.
This all happened in the fall, when oil companies run behind doing servicing, but oil deliveries are usually not running behind, because they have all summer to fill up people's tanks.
The woman who answers the phone at the oil company doesn't know how old the furnace is, and certainly doesn't know the customer is thinking of converting to gas, and funraces don't need replacing most years She or the person she hands the notes to to schedule appointments is going to schedule them both independently and as soon as possible.
If one wants an inspection before a fill-up, one should call twice, the first time ONLY for the inspection/cleaning. (That's what this woman said she did, and it might well have been true, that she didnt' say anything about a fill-up, but they sent a tank truck anyhow.. One or two oil companies told me they wouldn't put me on autmatic delivery unless I filled out some credit information. I never did, but they came automatically anyhow. They want the business. So I guess she should have said NO fillup. )
Trader and Jim, she also said they came to remove the oil without her asking either, without her agreeing to it, when she might have been able to sell the oil to someone,. As George suggests, she could have sold or given it to someone who trusts her not to have poisoned it. She complained about the delivery as soon as she got home and smelled the oil, so it's not likely she tampered with it.
Bob, the charge could include the removing the tank or the filler, but it didn't here.

were
It had to be a re-run because I was going to post this message (from my Drafts file) when it first was televised on 7/8/11:
A homeowner, who has been a customer of Statewide Oil since 2008, is told in May 2010 that her 25 to 30 year old oil boiler is on its last legs and may last only 1 or 2 more years, if that. She claims, and the oil company does not deny, that she was never on any "auto fill" option plan.
The oil tank in nearly empty. In October 2010 she calls for someone to clean and inspect the unit after getting a quote to switch to natural gas from a plumbing dealer. It is not clear if the oil company knows this. But before they send the cleaner/inspector they fill her tank with oil. She calls to complain that she never asked for the oil, that she wanted only someone to determine that status of the boiler. She tells the court that if they say it won't last the season (which they said was possible) she was going to convert to gas and take out the boiler.
After the fill up they send the cleaning/inspection guy who points out there are two nasty, nearly rusted-through spots on her boiler and that it's probably not safe to use anymore. He says it probably won't last the winter if she does. The situation ends up with them placing a lien against her house for both the cost of the oil and the cost of removing the oil.
In court, the oil company finance officer appears with the serviceman but not with the receptionist who took the call or any other proof of a request for a fill. . The judge asks why the person who took the call wasn't there and the finance manager said "We asked he but she doesn't remember that call." The judge asks the finance manager "Can you swear to me that she called and asked your company to "fill her up" and the manager replies "I can't swear to that."
The oil cost around $550 and the removal cost around $538. The oil company has filed suit for both the cost of the oil and its removal, which is done by another company for a total of $1142. The judge establishes that the company did the checkup AFTER the tank was filled, which the company responds to by saying "she called for the fill up" and that they often send the inspection/cleaning person after the oil is delivered.
How do you think the judge ruled?

No, I disagree. If they told you they wouldn't automatically deliver unless you did X and they delivered without you doing X, they are on the hook for pumping it all out. That's basic contract law. If that were not the case, shady oil companies and just about everyone else would be delivering stuff to you demanding payment whether you ordered it or not. It sounds like oil companies are close to that point, anyway.

But once the oil company removes and resells it, they are liable for anything in that oil. Who knows, maybe her crackhead son was cooking meth or brewing beer in it! (-:

I believe that was immaterial to the case. She didn't ask for oil but did ask for an inspection. She got the oil BEFORE they came and told her the boiler was shot. Their mistake, they eat the cost. While it was a few months ago, I seem to recall her saying that the new guys were going to remove the old boiler and tanks, but that may not even have come up.
The issue here is getting jacked for the price of both delivering and removing oil that was never ordered in the first place and then having a lien thrown against the house. The oil company could neither produce a receipt or a person to confirm she asked for oil, and I kinda believe she wouldn't have with the boiler looking the way it did. There's a picture beginning to emerge of a "pump first, ask questions later" attitude in the heating oil supply business.
-- Bobby G.