How much to offer home seller

That was true but nowdays many states, not all, have Buyer's Brokers in addition to the traditional Seller's Brokers. Also, some states have Dual Brokers to handle situations such as a large brokerage house that is both buying and selling houses. And still worse, there are Neutral Brokers in some states. Call your state Division of Registration for Real Estate and ask!

Very often a "Buyer's Broker" is just another name for the buyer's attorney. All buyers should employ technical advisers such as home inspectors, title researchers, surveyors, etc. In some states Appraisal is a licensed profession so be certain your inspector has a license. Check the Yellow Pages.

You bank may want some inspections. But always remember these are to protect the bank's interest, not necessarily yours.

Reply to
Stubby

Which is how virtually all properties in the US are bought. It's almost certainly the relationship the OP was describing.

You can, in theory. Almost no one does. What kind of fee would you have to pay, considering that the normal commission split is about 3% of the sales price? Even in a very moderately-priced market like St. Louis, that's going to be an average of around $3000.

Brian

Reply to
Default User

It certainly wasn't my intention to say that there aren't stupid agents, or greedy agents, or lazy agents, or poorly informed agents, or any number of other bad types. There are. Usually you hear about bad sales agents versus buying agents, but there are any number of horror stories out there.

Caution is always warranted. Unreasoning paranoia is not.

Brian

Reply to

Yes, and I should have clarified that I was speaking of traditional practice. It's (from reading between the lines) very likely the set-up the OP is describing.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't know anyone who's used a paid broker. I'm also not sure of what happens with the commission in those cases, whether the buyer gets the half that would normally go to the buying agent or what.

Brian

Reply to

Actually, smart, diligent, well-informed agents will act just the way I described. There are, in all markets, an abundance of people who simply choose not to be thorough in their search process. Some agents will do a steady business in serving those clients, call them "tourists". Since referrals aren't the focus of their business, they are less of a check on their behavior.

I agree. Unreasoning? As I just explained, the existence of those agents is quite rational.

Reply to
ccs>ikyr

I never said it wasn't. You were misusing/couldn't get your head around the term "buyer's agent"... I was explaining. ________________

Nonsense. Lots of people do. I have. ________________

As explained previously, fees depend upon what is agreed to between the hirer & hiree. Commissions may or may not enter into that fee.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

You are being incredibly thick.

Repeat after me...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "THE BUYING AGENT" UNLESS YOU HAVE SPECIFICALLY HIRED A BROKER FOR THAT PURPOSE. The agent who showed you the property, relayed offers to the seller, etc is NOT a "buying agent". They are seller's agents dealing with a buyer.

If you or someone else *has* hired an actual buyer's agent, that has no effect on the divvying up of the commission between the listing agent and the agent who sold the property (who may also be the listor).

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Ah yes, a bit of name-calling. That gets your point across.

Nonsense. YOU may define it that way, but that is certainly not common parlance.

It's also most likely what the original poster in this thread was talking about when he used the term. Very few people use what you call a "buyer's agent", almost all property is bought the way I described.

Brian

Reply to

I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the OP's "I can't trust my agent, not even to recommend an appraiser!!!"

Brian

Reply to

What percentage of housing sales are completed with the help of such an agent each year?

Brian

Reply to

I suggest you call the State division of Registration to find out the answer in your state.

Reply to
Stubby

Who gives a rat's ass?

Reply to
dadiOH

Apparently not. ________________

Fine, stay ignorant.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Feeling the argument slipping away from you? Don't feel bad.

Brian

Reply to

There was no argument as far as I'm concerned. Someone took exception to kokonutty's 100% accurate post, I explained his misunderstanding and then you jumped in full of ignorance.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Oh I'm far too lazy for anything like that. Let me know what you find.

Brian

Reply to

I believe that you have mischaracterized the discussion to this point.

Kokonutty's post was in response to mine, directed at the original poster.

Brian

Reply to

f****ng tight ass cunt!

Reply to
chickenwing

OK, he corrected *your* misunderstanding.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Bexar County is in Texas. Have a look at

photo copies of deeds and a lot more.

Reply to
MikeP