How much tension is there on a garage door's springs in the UP position?

Page 2 of 2
Thanks all especially Pop for that huge reply!
Ok I took some measurements. The rail has a 12" radius bend, so I was told (though it seems more like 15" to me). Guys said it could also go on a 32"" bend, which would raise the rails up by 20 inches. Door is 16' wide x 7' high, vinyl or plastic surface on a wooden subframe.
The current opener has to go up 32" (more that I had originally thought). Right now it sits about 5 inches below what I think is horizontal. If I pull this up 10 inches so its angled the other way, it would still be almost flat. So now I have 30 inches (from the 20" increase in radius plus lifting up the motor 10". Ok I can live with that. Can this work? Rails would be horizontal too. I also have to know if the door will come back any more this way, because the back of the motor is flush below a large steel I-beam in the middle of the room, so I can't go back any more than that. If someone wants to see a pic I could email you!
Dean
No the door shouldn't go back any further, but the door probably won't open all the way. If you raise the front of the opener 20" that means the opener arm will have to be 20" longer then it is now & most likely the arm will run into the motor head way before the door is fully open.
Personally I would agree w/ Rich that sloping the track will give you many issues & in my opinion if you could get the door to work at all it would work like crap without changing parts to compensate for the difference in weight when the door is open.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

At the risk of beating a dead horse here, isn't the door "fully open" when its bottom edge reaches the top of the door opening?
I realize that the whole door won't be lying on the horizontal part of the tracks if it is stopped at that point, but the door opener doesn't have to travel any further to "open" the door than it did when the horizontal portion of the tracks were 20" lower. There would just be a lot more weight to have to restrain if something bust, which is NOT a good thing.

If the slope of the tracks is 8.5 degrees as stated earlier, and the door weighs 300 pounds, then it'll take only about 40 pound of force from the springs to keep the door from rolling down that incline if the opener to door connection breaks loose. That sounds pretty doable to me.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
There's a lot of tension. I have a double wooden garage door. When one spring broke, I couldn't lift the door manually. I called the 'door doctor' and watched him work on it. It looked dangerous.
Wayne in Ottawa
There is essentially NO TENSION on the springs when the door is in the UP position.
Wayne Jones wrote:

Actually, it sounds like that would work if you have room for the 20" rise at the door. The main thing, IMO would be to keep the tracks as reasonably close to level as you can but perfection isn't necessary. I think you have a workable solution, IMO at least.
Be certain you keep those track to track spacings right, and when you lift the door by hand for the first time, closely watch the rollers to be certain nothing is being stressed or pulled out of position.
PopS