How much space do you need for a vented gas fireplace?

We are remodelling our master bedroom and considering putting in a vented gas fireplace opposite our bed.

However, we are tight on room so we need to know what is the minimal depth that would be needed to add such a unit including space for venting, fireplace itself, insulation, etc.

Of course, details will depend on the unit itself, but I would like to get a ballpark estimate of the minimum space that would be needed so I know whether it is even worth pursuing.

I tried googling some units but it wasn't clear in practice how much total space is required.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Visit some stove shops in your area The manufacturers all have brochures that list the space requirements for their products. I assume you are looking for a zero clearance fireplace? These are installed and a enclosure is built around it. You can also do a "bump out" that has the face of the fireplace about flush with the wall.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

I'm a big fan of gas fireplaces, but I'd be hesitant to put one in a sleeping area because of CO. It's just too small a space & you could wake up dead with a minimum of equipment malfunction. At the least- buy a CO detector with the fireplace.

Sam's Club had a great setup just inside their doors a couple weeks ago-- Big 4-poster bed, with a HD TV hanging on the wall with a fireplace video going on. You got sound and visuals far better than any gas fireplace I've seen- falling logs, sparks, etc.

That and an electric blanket, and you're still toasty- and you can switch it to a movie if you like.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Are you concerned even with the vented ones or just with the non-vented types?

And I definitely agree with you on the CO detector and not sure I would go to sleep with it on all night either.

That would work for me but probably not for my wife. Heck I would prefer the HDTV (without the fireplace video) to a fireplace.... but have to please the wife...

Reply to
blueman

Both- though I'd say non-vented is an absolute no-no in a bedroom. Vented requires caution. People die every year from vented devices whose vents fail for whatever reason. In a confined space there is no warning, you just wake up dead.

-snip-

Yeah- all the fireplace in the world won't keep the bedroom warm if SWMBO is not happy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht