how much should I be charging for these shared appliances..

Page 3 of 6
On 09/14/2015 3:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

No idea about Canada; in US it'll be local/state law that rules and they're undoubtedly quite variable in what is/isn't required...the northeast typically most onerous/regulated, the south and midwest less...those are generalities to be overruled by specifics, of course. :)
I've been fortunate to never have had to deal with such specifically, but the OPs place simply sounds by the description as it were an older home (prior farmhouse, maybe?) the original owner simply divided and sold, not a condo development per se.

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:51:14 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I agree, not clear at all what exactly this actually is, but sounds more like a house that was divided. Along the way, OP said he replaced/************+- the roof and that resulted in the loss of solar panels which were providing electric power. If it was a house turned into a condo, you would think the roof would probably belong to both owners, but I guess it could be a sprawling ranch or similar. Interesting that the panels were not replaced, that must be a whole additional story of woe. Solar panels didn't appear here in NJ that long ago, wonder how long they lasted, what was wrong with them that they could not be put back on the new roof? Also, seems it's a bad idea to put new solar panels on a roof with limited years of life left.....
In all this, the most relevant things we still don't know are:
What does the master deed, bylaws, etc say about the shared well? OP said it was spelled out, but nothing more.
Who pays for repair, replacement, winter blowout of the sprinklers, etc?
If the OP is responsible for everything, including hauling home salt, maintaining the water softener, etc, then I'd say the $50 a month fee is certainly reasonable.
The other party giving him the grief, probably never even owned a house with a well, water softener, irrigation system, etc. IDK why anyone would ever buy a property like this, unless it was an extraordinary location, extraordinary deal, etc. Otherwise I'd just find another property where you don't have to deal with this nonsense. Another big mistake was not putting the agreement into writing before the neighbor closed. I would have written something up, setting the price and duration, also excluding myself for liability for water quality, interruption of service, etc.
It would be interesting to hear how this winds up, but I suspect the OP will likely disappear at some point.

as far as reserves etc.
replying to trader_4 , NG wrote:

Every thing is spell out in our condo agreement by laws, I actually use to have solar panels that took care of all cost, I didn't have to worry about asking for money for these shared expenses. I had to get a new roof and no more solar panels. Anyway the person that sold his unit to her, told me to come up with a dollar amount to charge her. She totally agreed on the dollar amount, and went right to settlement And signed away on this as is property. I have a very large yard in the front and the sprinkler system runs twice day. Sorry I didn't mention that above.. Yes it is a very bad set up here..

so the fact that it was the seller who pulled a number out of his butt is somehow better than you being the one who pulled the number out of your butt?
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, NG wrote:

If it is, then what does it say? What's spelled out in the master deeds and bylaws is extremely important.
I actually use

Like I said before, sprinkler system running for a lawn twice or more a day, something is very wrong there. Should be putting down ~1" of water total a week, dividing it up in 2 or 3 waterings. Does your neighbor have anything to say about that? If I saw you watering inappropriately like a madman, I might be wondering how much of the well expense is for that.
replying to Mayayana , NG wrote:

First, off I came across this site last night, and there was another person on here that had a similar situation. So that's when I wrote in. I pay well over $ 250 a month on electric bills to answer your question. She agreed 0n the $ 50 way before she went to settlement. And sign away excepting All terms and conditions on this shared property Then 7 months later she came at me very hostile, I wanted to work something out with her she turned down the offer, she should of did all her homework before she signed at settlement.
On 9/13/2015 2:44 PM, NG wrote:

She probably thought it was fair, but someone got her ear and filled her with the idea you were cheating her. Brother, father, nosy friend is likely the blame.
Compared to city rates, what you asked for does not seem outlandish. My town city water and sewer is about $700 a year.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:44:01 +0000, NG

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:44:01 +0000, NG

Maybe someone riled her up about the bill she's paying you on the same day her boss yelled at her and her boyfirend dumped her.

She signed a contrac with YOU? Even though you were not the seller of the condo she bought?
What's the term of the contract? It's not forever, is it?
On 9/13/2015 2:44 PM, NG wrote:

Why do you not get separate electric meters? That seems logical to me. Watering 2-3x a day is nuts....NO lawn should be watered like that. Twice weekly, even in sunny Florida with sandy soil is plenty....you should look up your city or county agricultural extension service and read up on lawn care. Even in hottest dryest weather in Florida, watering 2x week is plenty....grass can look wilty in extreme weather but 2x keeps it going. Don't mow too short, don't fertilize during stressful weather. With a "very large" yard, you probably will be ahead if you convert some of the lawn grass to more tolerant, less thirsty plants.
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 4:26:14 PM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:

Probably because the monthly base charge for a meter is probably more than the cost of the small amount of electric used. And then there is the expense of the rewiring, since the other unit owner stopped paying for water altogether, I doubt she's going to agree to pay for re-metering. And then it would only solve part of the problem anyway. Who's accounting for the OP loading salt into the water conditioner, probably buying it, lugging it home, the cost of that equipment, the pump, repair/replacement of it in the future, etc? If she thinks $50 is too much for water, she probably thinks all that should be free too. No, they've got themselves a right proper mess.

Yep, I posted that couple days ago too. And I wouldn't be surprised that has something to do with the issue. Like maybe the other unit owner saw the crazy watering and figures she's paying for it.
On 09/13/2015 12:44 AM, NG wrote:

What do the actual legal ownership documents of the property state regarding the well (if anything)?
If there isn't some written contract you're basically on your own as at present the well is on your meter and you're the one responsible for that meter.
It is, of course, reasonable that costs for shared utilities be shared, but that arrangement should have been formalized prior to occupancy and a way to enforce it made then.
The solution in the present situation case would likely be based on putting the well on its own meter and also installing water metering to ratio the use between the two properties if you've not willing to just use the suggested usage meter and back that from the monthly bill which would roughly accomplish the same objective. Unless you have some basis for ratioing the water usage to cause different split you could try compute some ratio based on occupancy considering how much the landscaping might be as a fraction of the total that, I presume, would be 50:50. And, of course, the agreement needs to also cover shared maintenance costs and repairs, not just monthly operational cost.
You can, of course, go to small claims court to recover past owings; you'll have to draft a contract going forward and after the sale instead of as part of that transaction it'll likely be somewhat more difficult. I've no idea on the actual legal rights; that would, I suspect be based on locality and you'll probably do need some advice from a professional there on how to proceed.
The cleanest going forward certainly would be to split the utilities entirely with separate wells but that'll no doubt be more expensive in the short term for both and undoubtedly more expensive going forward as well as each property then will have full maintenance costs of a system rather than sharing for one.

So, you are overcharging her for her half share of the electricity and if she wants to measure actual usage you come up with:
"I'm not her landlord". "checking each day that this gizmo is functioning Right"
No sympathy here.
--
Dan Espen

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 9:50:12 AM UTC-4, net cop wrote:

I thought that her offer to somehow meter the electric usage, whether temporarily to get some numbers for a few months or permanently, at least showed the neighbor wasn't being a total ass. It sounds less expensive than starting a legal war.....

Is there no mention of this arrangement in the property deeds?
I think it would be easier and cheaper to put in a separate electric meter for the common elements. Another thought is to have your own private water meters installed. Get a quote from a plumber and maybe they can be instal led where everyone can read them.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
John G posted for all of us...

+1
--
Tekkie

big bucks to the utility company for the new service, though.
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

And who pays for that? Plus it only solves a part of the problem. Who paid for the well, pump, water softener, sprinkler system and maintenance, replacement as needed, etc? If the OP is responsible for that, paying for the salt for the water softener, doing the work, I say the electric usage is largely irrelevant, $50 a months sounds very reasonable to me even if the electric portion is only $15.

And who pays for that? Plus it only solves a part of the problem. Who paid for the well, pump, water softener, sprinkler system and maintenance, replacement as needed, etc? If the OP is responsible for that, paying for the salt for the water softener, doing the work, I say the electric usage is largely irrelevant, $50 a months sounds very reasonable to me even if the electric portion is only $15.
---------
Nothing is reasonable without facts. OP has none. OP doesn't want to determine what the facts are. And I think he would be nuts to take an amount in excess of the actual electric costs without the FACTS regarding capital costs, reserve requirements, etc.
In other words, he should be doing this in a responsible manner, like condos (and others) do. But he resists. I'm done with him. This is a simple matter. Get 'er done!